Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

m8 bought ed falcon wants 2 go me , should i be worried

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
hey all my m8 just bout a ed falcon 4.0 5 speed manual standard, he wants 2 drag my vn 3.8 cai sports exhaust auto is it possible for me 2 get the bumper infront? Any comments would be much appreciated

cheers vks

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
I see another was KILLED in a Nissan in Redcliffe Qld yesterday:bang:

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
You should definatly have him off the mark till about 80-100. After that they start to wind up and gallop

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
It's all down to gearing. If the ED had the same ratios as the VN, it would probably beat you. Thankfully your VN has a 3.06:1 first gear while the falcon has a rediculously tall 2.39:1 for first. While the commodore has a slightly taller diff ratio, (3.08:1 versus 3.23:1 for the standard falcon) in terms of final drive ratio in first the commodore is still streets ahead. Second gear for the commo is 1.63:1, for the falcon it's 1.45:1, taking into account the slight diff ratio difference there's bugger all difference between the two final ratios in second.

Contrary to popular opinion the commodores off the mark advantage is not due to it's "superior low down power" aka torque. In reality the e-series falcon 6 makes a fair bit more torque than the buick through most of the rev range. (Although VN series ones and other comodores running early tunes with the bellmouth removed may well have a bit more grunt down the bottom end) Time and time again it has been shown that the commodore will destroy the falcon through first (due to it's massive gearing advantage, then through second the falcon will either hold position or gain slightly, and then in third where the falcon has a slight gearing adantage (basically level pegging though) that allows it to put it's torque advantage to good use it hauls the commodore back in. (although by the time you've got the right boot on the floorboards in third you're doing fairly silly speeds and would definitely wanna be on a racetrack or private road)

To summarise, to legal speeds, you should beat him with fair ease. Unless one or both of you is running a manual in which case things become more complicated. Don't let us know how it goes, because street racing is bad mmkay?

EDIT: ahhh crap, missed the bit that said it was a manual. I honestly can't be arsed chasing down the ford T5 ratios. Suffice it to say that the manuals are faster than the auto's. You'll probably still win unless he's one of these crazy buggers who'll ride it off the line and flat shift just for the sake of winning. Even if he is, he'll be the one replacing his clutch after a few runs. :)

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Unless he is a wizz with the clutch you will win, that car should be able to match a VN auto over the 1/4 mile if he can drive but he probbaly isn't that good so you should be able to just stomp the pedal to the floor and wait for victory. It's only because he has a manual that he has any hope at all, all auto falcons up to the BA are massive slugs and none of them are even close to a VN in straight line performance. But they do have a posh suspension setup later on in life :). Even a VL manual with advanced timing should/might/maybe beat a auto falcon

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
wellllll if he knows how to drive i personally dont like your chances, will be close but i think he may beat you BUT going by your post, he only just brought it. it takes a little bit for people to used to there cars... so like greenfoam just said, plant the foot and see what happens:D

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
ED Falcons are slower than EB Falcons. A stock ED manual is low to mid 16s for the 400m, the EB was in the fifteens. I don't know why this is the case as the ED was no heavier and only lost 3kWs from the EB.
You should win up to legal speeds.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
just race him and see who wins.
best out of 3.
don't sit there and worry that ya may loose. just give it ya best shop.
i use to laugh, there was a fella not far from here in naracoorte and some people use to say his Ea/b sporty things. not sure what it was. was the fastest 6 in naracoorte. i am not in naracoorte, but one of my mates took him for a drive in the car i got my motor out of and he **** himself. and told me that my motor has heap of go, bla bla bla. so i really wouldn't be too worried.. unless your car has done 300,000 or something and is about buggered..