Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I reckon they've turned them off as part of being a sovereign citizen or some such twaddle.
Ain't gunna be told what to do by "the man"!
Kind of unrelated but I think we have a few of those sovereign citizens in the JC Political thread :D

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
good thinking. my 6 foot ass wouldn't have enough room
Hmm ... in that case I should warn you, even a miniature mule isn’t going to fit, and that includes a wagon.
If you’ve got a trailer for your ass, check the weight, I think VF tops-out at 2100kg for towing.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
So, it is possible to install a HUD onto a S1 VF SV6 albeit through some extensive work and a little bit of money. Are there any people around who will do the installation themselves or is this strictly something I'd have to do myself? I'm not opposed to doing stuff myself, but I often don't find myself not needing my car for long periods of time and I also don't have anyone with a whole lot of experience with this sort of thing at my disposal to help.

Yes, Sunroof sounds like something I will have to accept that is not going to be an option unless I go for the Calais which comes with its own problems so the SV6 sounds like the way to go.

Are the MY16 and MY17 the only SV6 commodores to come in the Slipstream Blue? Obviously, they are the only ones that can be bought with HUDs but are there older models, without HUDs that still have the same color?

Exhaust and Tunes are good information, I'll definitely be referring back to all this when the time comes :)

You could find an auto electrician to do the HUD for you but that requires cutting into the dash, pulling it apart, tapping into a loom… is this something you really want someone to do to your car?

MY16 and MY17 are the only Sv6s with Slipstream Blue option.

I was in your shoes previously in 2017 looking at the Sv6 then improving it to have the Calais’ heated leather seats, colour dash, 19 inch rims, electrochromatic mirror, heated mirrors, and sunroof. Far too expensive and complicated so I went with the Calais V.
To be honest, nothing wrong with it at all and the FE1.5 suspension has worked well for being smooth for normal roads but also allows me to take corners with some speed without feeling like I’m flying away.

It comes down to your budget…
Anything with changes in parts is extremely expensive. Get it in original form (ie. MY17 Sv6 in Slipstream) and you can slowly do things to it.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have bought 2 Calais Vs

They can be lowered, sportier wheels added if required.

Love the luxury of the Calais V

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I went through the same question and debate a few years ago.

The vote swung in favour of the Calais V due to the following:
- Prussian Steel body color (love it to bits)
- 19" Calais V wheels (SSV style, but lighter grey on the wheel barrel)
- HUD
- Perforated, flat bottom steering wheel (with no blank switches, due to below items)
- Collission avoidance and lane keep assist
- auto tilting left side ORVM (when switching to reverse gear)
- Sunroof with auto close
- White accented interior trim
- Memory seats (front only, linked to individual keys)
- heated seats (front only)
- Puddle lamps on all 4 doors and 2 ORVMs
- Footwell and door accent lights (front only)
- Upgraded (albeit underwhelming) stereo
- No spoiler (later added a VF Director model lip spoiler)
- Foglamps

The SV6 ride was a bit too harsh on 19" wheels, most came with a stupid spoiler and it did not have most of the creature comforts I wanted.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
- Collission avoidance and lane keep assist
The VF can’t slam on the brakes to stop you running up someone’s arse, only project a red square on the windscreen (for those with HUD) while it’s accompanied by some warning chimes (for HUD and non HUD vehicles). It’s called forward collision alert.

Likewise the VF can’t tug at the steering wheel to keep you within your lane, only beep a warning chime as you cross the white line while heading towards the ditch… It’s called lane departure warning.

In other words the VF only had passive safety items to warn the driver rather than active safety items to take over control of a wayward vehicle.

The features are described below

PS: one of the other benefits of the Calais was that it had cheaper insurance as compared to an auto SSV/SSVR, didn’t drag it‘s front on steep driveways, etc…

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
The VF can’t slam on the brakes to stop you running up someone’s arse, only project a red square on the windscreen (for those with HUD) while it’s accompanied by some warning chimes (for HUD and non HUD vehicles). It’s called forward collision alert.

Likewise the VF can’t tug at the steering wheel to keep you within your lane, only beep a warning chime as you cross the white line while heading towards the ditch… It’s called lane departure warning.

In other words the VF only had passive safety items to warn the driver rather than active safety items to take over control of a wayward vehicle.

The features are described below

[/URL][/URL]

PS: one of the other benefits of the Calais was that it had cheaper insurance as compared to an auto SSV/SSVR, didn’t drag it‘s front on steep driveways, etc…
I stand corrected on that one. I meant what you said, but used incorrect words to describe it. The SV6 lacks those two passive, warning systems. Thank you @Skylarking

I don't use either of them, but atleast I don't have to stare at two blank buttons on the steering wheel ;)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I was in your shoes previously in 2017 looking at the Sv6 then improving it to have the Calais’ heated leather seats, colour dash, 19 inch rims, electrochromatic mirror, heated mirrors, and sunroof. Far too expensive and complicated so I went with the Calais V.
I'll argue this looks better than a Calais V.

I'm the opposite where I can live without some interior features for a better external image although I did fit the Calais/SSV chrome window mouldings that fits in with the colour and existing chrome and the Calais wheels.

Having said that, the SV6 interior is pretty bland, and I tricked mine up a bit with the SSV interior light, floor puddle lamps, pedals, console lid, steering wheel and SSV/Calais dash trims and coloured instrument cluster!

20230902_162551.jpg

20231201_181639.jpg

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'll argue this looks better than a Calais V.

It needs a wash, I'm fairly certain I can see a speck of flyshit on the paintwork.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm not gonna post a photo of our SSVR in it's current filthy state, I suspect it'd put RevNev in hospital ... :(