Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
Hi, this is my very first post here and I'm also new to the car scene as I'm only now looking to buy my first car so, please excuse my lack of knowledge on commodores and I highly encourage anyone to correct me where necessary :p.

So, I'm a P plater looking to buy their first (technically second) car and have been researching and checking out commodores for a few months now. Personally, I love driving around and having fun with my car so naturally the sportiness of the VF SV6 was immediately appealing since the SS and SSV were off the table (*sad P plater noise*). However, after looking around, the VF CalaisV (V6 obviously), has the nicer interior plus some nicer features like a HUD, sunroof etc. (which are things I would like) but it does lack the sports orientated suspension nor does it look aggressive and sporty, like the SV6, due to the curved side skirts and front bumper. My first question is that, if I bought a CalaisV, would I be able to simply swap parts out like the suspension, side skirts and front bumper for the SV6, SS/SSV counter parts and if this is possible, would it behave/feel/drive the same as the SV6 given it has the same engine? (I'd probably put aftermarket suspension on anyways, but this question is more a proof of concept).

Second question is about the HUD. As I understand it, the SV6 Black Editions all came equipped with a HUD and the 2017 models were the first to introduce aa HUD to the base version. Does this mean that Series 1 VF SV6 Black Editions had HUD's or is this strictly for Series 2 VF?

Lastly, for the SV6, it comes stock with a lip spoiler on the boot lid but there are options to have a wing spoiler put on. This looks pretty attractive to me, but I have been told by a few people that the wing spoiler awkwardly blocks vision through the rear-view mirror. Is this true? admittedly, the people saying this haven't actually owned an SV6 with a wing spoiler and from the few instances I've seen, they don't look to get in the way that much.

Note: I plan to keep the car for a fare while and I love the idea of playing with different mods and sinking money into the car over the years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not flush with cash, but if its several hundred bucks to change some external cosmetics of the CalaisV to make it go from looking like an old man's car to a nice sporty looking makeshift SV6, I'm not fussed.

All advice and comments are appreciated and valued. Thank you for your time :)

Edit: forgot to specify VF models for both

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If you had all the parts you could swap SV6 suspension into a Calais, aftermarket may not be particularly more expensive though.
If you’ve not driven the Calais, best to do so & see what you think, suspension may be something for later if it suits you as-is.

I wouldn’t bother switching SV6 cosmetics onto a Calais, stuff like bumpers; you start getting into paint-matching problems. Certainly more than a few hundred bucks. Maybe for inspiration have a look at what the Calais-based VF Director looks like, and some of the simple cosmetic things they did to that (eg. black grille).

I don’t remember all the special editions & don’t remember anything about an earlier Black edition, but the Storms and the Collingwood Edition didn’t have the HUD.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
have been told by a few people that the wing spoiler awkwardly blocks vision through the rear-view mirror. Is this true?

The rear spoiler on my VE gives me empathy for Ned Kelly and what it may have been like looking out of his helmet.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
If you had all the parts you could swap SV6 suspension into a Calais, aftermarket may not be particularly more expensive though.
If you’ve not driven the Calais, best to do so & see what you think, suspension may be something for later if it suits you as-is.

I wouldn’t bother switching SV6 cosmetics onto a Calais, stuff like bumpers; you start getting into paint-matching problems. Certainly more than a few hundred bucks. Maybe for inspiration have a look at what the Calais-based VF Director looks like, and some of the simple cosmetic things they did to that (eg. black grille).

I don’t remember all the special editions & don’t remember anything about an earlier Black edition, but the Storms and the Collingwood Edition didn’t have the HUD.
I haven't driven either of the VF SV6 or CalaisV's but basically everywhere reports that the Calais's softer suspension rides smoother than the SV6 which, for cornering fast and having fun, isn't necessarily what I'm after at this point in time. I'm sure the ride with the Stock Calais suspension is comfortable and definitely may be something I decide to swap back to later down the track. I do want to test dive both, just not exactly sure where or how to do that just yet :p

As for the cosmetics, I have seen Calais driving around with the black front grille and while it looks better, it's still not favorable. I assume your comment means that swapping the front bumped is theoretically possible even if paint matching costs a fair bit. The Calais's don't come in a whole bunch of nice colors though so I would opt for a black one which could mean that paint matching wouldn't be too hard but even if it's a complete respray, how much would I be looking at? like I said, I'm not all too fussed if it's a little bit of money, if it's like 5 grand, for a bumper and some skirts, that's a bit crazy but I'd still like to entertain the idea.

I also forgot to mention the boot as well. Are the VF Calais Boot lid and VF SV6 boot lid the same because the Calais has this weird duck bill things that's sort of molded into the lid and would obviously be a problem if I wanted a wing spoiler :p

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Performance wise, the biggest difference is going to be the suspension. SV6 has FE2 sports suspension, where as Calais has FE1.5 touring suspension, so softer. The FE2 tune IMO is excellent for everyday sporty driving.

If you are going to lower it, I HIGHLY suggest you read up @RevNev threads about lowering his sport wagon, and adjusting the bushings whilst doing so. He does it properly for handling and performance, I get the P plate special is to slam it. All you do is ruin the comfortable ride of the car, scrape on everything, and if it's done poorly (Which it often is) youll also compromise the handling. Spending your money on Performance tires will also be a smart persons upgrade

I would advise against swapping bumpers, take a look at the cost of second hand bumpers at the moment. Sellers are smoking crack pipes with the prices they are asking ($3K plus for somewhat good condition), due to a shortage of new OEM bumpers. And you need more than just the bumper. Front end swap (The rear is different also) plus all the internal grilles etc. Currently, you won't have much change out of $6K-7K to do all the change if you want it done well so is a silly use of funds.. Nothing wrong with the Calais bumper, leave it. You want an SV6, Buy an SV6. Interior is subjective. The "Sportec" vinyl seats in SV6 actually age far better generally than the leather interiors. The Calais white accents get filthy pretty quick without cleaning

HUD wise, in SV6 these are only on Series 2's. The Black Edition was a Series 2 model which did come with HUD, Black Exterior trim (Which looks better on most colours IMO), Red stitching on interior and badging, as well as Black Edition wheels. The Series 1 model was the Storm, which had fog lights (deleted from S2 sport models) and Red stitching, dark insets in the rims, but still used Key start and no HUD. The MY17 SV6, basically become the black edition but with white stitching and chrome exterior trim. Swapping the chrome trim to the black is another area that will cost you a fortune, the black trims are often sold at extortionate prices. I have a MY16 SV6 which I've converted to a black edition, and need to do the HUD add in (Its a big job), but my dad has an MY17 SV6 with HUD and I really like it. If you get a HUD model, make sure the insurance includes windscreen cover, because the HUD windscreen is unique due to a polarising film in the glass to make the hud work, and it is over $1600 (When I called a year ago) just for the glass.

My Dad's MY17 SV6 has the high wing spoiler from factory. Initially I preferred the lip spoiler on mine but I have kinda warmed to it and actually rather like it. Yes, it will reduce your rear visibility somewhat but I dont think it's an issue. You can't just swap them, as the lip spoiler has extra holes drilled in the boot, and the high wing has different springs and struts due to the extra weight.

One advantage of the lip spoiler is that the boot will open all the way by itself which is handy, one big advantage I found of high wing spoiler, is its in the perfect spot to block all the flogs in their big SUV's/Forby's with blinding headlights shining through to the rear view mirror

Final word of advice you won't get on the SV6 Facebook groups

LEAVE THE EXHAUST STOCK

No aftermarket sounds good, ever, period, end of story, infinity, not negotiable. The VF v6 is a great engine, it does not sound good! Save your money tuning it as well, ALOT of snake oil tuners out there, and just because the OTR's intake roar sounds louder, doesn't mean it's faster. Spend your money on nice mods, such as the HSV style flat bottom steering wheel, and id get a colour instrument display put in as it looks a million times better than the stock Black and white one.

Also invest in taking care of it, invest in some tools, a low profile jack and axle stands and learn to service take care of it yourself, and it will reward you with many miles of happy motoring :)

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
The rear spoiler on my VE gives me empathy for Ned Kelly and what it may have been like looking out of his helmet.
So, I'm understanding that it's wise to take these people's advice and opt against a wing spoiler despite the attractiveness, however cool Ned Kelly was? :p

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
Performance wise, the biggest difference is going to be the suspension. SV6 has FE2 sports suspension, where as Calais has FE1.5 touring suspension, so softer. The FE2 tune IMO is excellent for everyday sporty driving.

If you are going to lower it, I HIGHLY suggest you read up @RevNev threads about lowering his sport wagon, and adjusting the bushings whilst doing so. He does it properly for handling and performance, I get the P plate special is to slam it. All you do is ruin the comfortable ride of the car, scrape on everything, and if it's done poorly (Which it often is) youll also compromise the handling. Spending your money on Performance tires will also be a smart persons upgrade

I would advise against swapping bumpers, take a look at the cost of second hand bumpers at the moment. Sellers are smoking crack pipes with the prices they are asking ($3K plus for somewhat good condition), due to a shortage of new OEM bumpers. And you need more than just the bumper. Front end swap (The rear is different also) plus all the internal grilles etc. Currently, you won't have much change out of $6K-7K to do all the change if you want it done well so is a silly use of funds.. Nothing wrong with the Calais bumper, leave it. You want an SV6, Buy an SV6. Interior is subjective. The "Sportec" vinyl seats in SV6 actually age far better generally than the leather interiors. The Calais white accents get filthy pretty quick without cleaning

HUD wise, in SV6 these are only on Series 2's. The Black Edition was a Series 2 model which did come with HUD, Black Exterior trim (Which looks better on most colours IMO), Red stitching on interior and badging, as well as Black Edition wheels. The Series 1 model was the Storm, which had fog lights (deleted from S2 sport models) and Red stitching, dark insets in the rims, but still used Key start and no HUD. The MY17 SV6, basically become the black edition but with white stitching and chrome exterior trim. Swapping the chrome trim to the black is another area that will cost you a fortune, the black trims are often sold at extortionate prices. I have a MY16 SV6 which I've converted to a black edition, and need to do the HUD add in (Its a big job), but my dad has an MY17 SV6 with HUD and I really like it. If you get a HUD model, make sure the insurance includes windscreen cover, because the HUD windscreen is unique due to a polarising film in the glass to make the hud work, and it is over $1600 (When I called a year ago) just for the glass.

My Dad's MY17 SV6 has the high wing spoiler from factory. Initially I preferred the lip spoiler on mine but I have kinda warmed to it and actually rather like it. Yes, it will reduce your rear visibility somewhat but I dont think it's an issue. You can't just swap them, as the lip spoiler has extra holes drilled in the boot, and the high wing has different springs and struts due to the extra weight.

One advantage of the lip spoiler is that the boot will open all the way by itself which is handy, one big advantage I found of high wing spoiler, is its in the perfect spot to block all the flogs in their big SUV's/Forby's with blinding headlights shining through to the rear view mirror

Final word of advice you won't get on the SV6 Facebook groups

LEAVE THE EXHAUST STOCK

No aftermarket sounds good, ever, period, end of story, infinity, not negotiable. The VF v6 is a great engine, it does not sound good! Save your money tuning it as well, ALOT of snake oil tuners out there, and just because the OTR's intake roar sounds louder, doesn't mean it's faster. Spend your money on nice mods, such as the HSV style flat bottom steering wheel, and id get a colour instrument display put in as it looks a million times better than the stock Black and white one.

Also invest in taking care of it, invest in some tools, a low profile jack and axle stands and learn to service take care of it yourself, and it will reward you with many miles of happy motoring :)
I do plan on lowering it but that will obviously come much later and not without a significant amount of investigation into how to do it properly. like you said, P platers have a reputation, and I don't want to be a top-notch d!$%head driving around in my far too low, obnoxiously loud SV6 with tint so dark it almost looks black. I will certainly refer back to this thread and this profile that you've mentioned when I come around to it!

The amount you are explaining for the cosmetic swaps does sound preposterous and as such, I think I'll have to give up on my desires for a sunroof and some other features and simply go for an SV6. The HUD is still something I will aim to get, and I was already aware of the unique windscreen but unaware of the insurance costs which is very good to know. You mentioned that you have a model that does not come stock with a HUD but you're getting one put in for a steep price, how much are you looking at and can this only be done on certain models?

I'm not entirely sure if I'm fussed about black or chrome exterior trim enough to care if the car is a Black Edition or not but the HUD does make it the more attractive of the options. Rim's I'm not fussed about because again, I'm considering aftermarket. So, if I want an SV6 with a HUD, I should be looking for a VF S2 Black edition of any base SV6 from MY17? Did Black Edition cars come in all the same colors as the Base SV6 because I've had my eyes on the nice dark blue SV6's?

Sounds like the wing spoiler means a completely new boot lid... how much would I be looking at there?

as for the exhaust and tune, I'm still undecided. For work leave early ish in the morning and even despite that, a deep and loud exhaust isn't all that appealing to me but I do love the look of twin dual exhaust pipes so that is something I will consider eventually. The Tune, I am the least researched on however I've heard people talk about "dyno" tunes which, I would only do after I'm off P plates and can start adding mods to the engine like extractors and air intakes. Steering wheel is also something I'm not entirely sure I like so your recommendation there is also appreciated and same goes for the display and maintenance equipment.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I do plan on lowering it but that will obviously come much later and not without a significant amount of investigation into how to do it properly. like you said, P platers have a reputation, and I don't want to be a top-notch d!$%head driving around in my far too low, obnoxiously loud SV6 with tint so dark it almost looks black. I will certainly refer back to this thread and this profile that you've mentioned when I come around to it!

The amount you are explaining for the cosmetic swaps does sound preposterous and as such, I think I'll have to give up on my desires for a sunroof and some other features and simply go for an SV6. The HUD is still something I will aim to get, and I was already aware of the unique windscreen but unaware of the insurance costs which is very good to know. You mentioned that you have a model that does not come stock with a HUD but you're getting one put in for a steep price, how much are you looking at and can this only be done on certain models?

I'm not entirely sure if I'm fussed about black or chrome exterior trim enough to care if the car is a Black Edition or not but the HUD does make it the more attractive of the options. Rim's I'm not fussed about because again, I'm considering aftermarket. So, if I want an SV6 with a HUD, I should be looking for a VF S2 Black edition of any base SV6 from MY17? Did Black Edition cars come in all the same colors as the Base SV6 because I've had my eyes on the nice dark blue SV6's?

Sounds like the wing spoiler means a completely new boot lid... how much would I be looking at there?

as for the exhaust and tune, I'm still undecided. For work leave early ish in the morning and even despite that, a deep and loud exhaust isn't all that appealing to me but I do love the look of twin dual exhaust pipes so that is something I will consider eventually. The Tune, I am the least researched on however I've heard people talk about "dyno" tunes which, I would only do after I'm off P plates and can start adding mods to the engine like extractors and air intakes. Steering wheel is also something I'm not entirely sure I like so your recommendation there is also appreciated and same goes for the display and maintenance equipment.
You cant add extractors to the v6 LFX - it has an integrated exhaust port
If you want twin tip exhaust (I agree it looks better), just get the mufflers from a v8 and put it onto the 6.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
You cant add extractors to the v6 LFX - it has an integrated exhaust port
If you want twin tip exhaust (I agree it looks better), just get the mufflers from a v8 and put it onto the 6.
Ahh I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it a lot!!!

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
There is a thread here in which the user Cam_Ralph made a step by step guide on adding the HUD in to none HUD cars, as at least in the case of SV6 and above they are all putting out the HUD signal, they just dont have the projector. I got all the bits I need from a wreck (HUD Projector, brackets, Trim pieces, switches, plugs etc) and it was about $400 (Not including cost of windscreen). It's not a job for the faint heart, you have to take the entire Dash out and cut into the loom. If I had my time again id have looked for a Car with a HUD, but at the time when I needed to buy it was the height of all teh lock downs and mine was the best I could find (Love her though :) )

Whilst sunroofs sound nice, I look at them as nothing more than additional weight, mechanical complexity and with more seals to leak. I have also seen a few instances in which people had paint cracking around the corners of the roof cutout, seemingly from the body flexing which would scare me off them. Really you can't go wrong with a well maintained and cared for (check teh service history with a fine tooth comb) Series 2 SV6, Be it MY16/MY17

Yep, if you want HUD, you need to look at either MY16 Black Edition, or MY17 SV6 models. Colours were similar between those years, you're describing Slipstream blue which was in both MY16/MY17 (And is a lovely colour!) Yep, the Black Editions came in the same colours, though seem very popular in Slipstream Blue

MY16 - SV6 Colours
Prussian Steel (Light Grey, deleted in MY17)
Phantom Black (Black, also MY17)
Jungle Green (Dark Green)
Nitrate Silver (Silver, also MY17)
Regal Peacock (Early MY16, Dark metallic Green)
Slipstream Blue (Blue, also MY17)
Red Hot (Red, also MY17)
Some Like it Hot Red (Metallic Redish Orange, look up Panheads ute for a stunning example of the colour, deleted for MY17)
Heron White

MY17 - SV6 new Colours
Son of Gun Grey - Dark metallic grey
Light my Fire Orange - Metallic orange, looks stunning clean in the sun

Youd be up for new Boot-lid, springs and struts, plus the spoiler itself and badges. May be worth just finding a car with a spoiler

The only acceptable exhaust mod on an SV6, is the VE and Series 1 VF SS mufflers that came from an Active Fuel Management (AFM, the cylinder deactivation) car, these are a single outlet from the muffler to a quad tip. They dont sound different, and give the look of the quad tips to fill out the bumper which I agree looks alot better. Plus, you can get them dirt cheap, I only payed $50 for mine.

You can't do extractors on the LFX, they are integrated into the head and basically go from from the engine straight to the cat. Most OTR's will give snake oil gains, do your researches on tuners as their is a HEAP of crappy tuners out there with happy dyno's