Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Trying to say?....care to rephrase that please.

Still not sure where you want to go with all the ^. Either you have looked up the heat of combustion of propane and butane, or you havent......I could post you a link, but was hoping you could do that for yourself.
No one is arguing that an oil can be picked up in lpg supplies that can clog up a convertor, but typically this isnt in such large concentrations and it gets sucked through and burnt, Ive not experienced it in using lpg for the last 15 years. No one is arguing that a car cant be tuned to perform well on straight propane either. Im not sure as to why the oil is there or that it is only there if butane is, butane being higher molecular weight and also being more likely to be the proceeds of petroleum refining is the more likely of the two to carry the residues of crude oil. Im sure that if the refiners went to enough trouble they could get rid of it entirely, however, it would all add to the cost and if its kept to a low level causes no problems at all. Possibly youve got the wrong idea of how much oil there is from what is left over in domestic lpg bottles that have been filled with a mix and where the gas comes out of the top of the bottle leaving the residue to accumulate at the bottom with repeated cycles of use.

Re posting photos, you can attach pics in the box that appears below "additional options" when you post....havent tried it myself.

Obviously you don't know were im going with all this and yes i have looked up the heat of combustion of propane and butane

Now i will try to break it down more in earlier replies I am try to tell you the people that sell me propane gas who say propane IS better than auto mix tell me other things
some i know as true eg. the oil that butane carries in liquid state i Know that this stuffs converters with a bad mix i have been told that in the past when i was testing by more than one fitter who have had to repair or replace converters
And because some of what they have told me i have heard over and over from different people i believed what they told me about the propane now your saying and i quote
""its not such a bad thing to be running, it actually has more energy per litre than propane""

Now the difference is propane 0.85 HHV MJ/Kg higher than butane and propane has 0.6 LHV MJ/Kg higher than butane

And why i appologised was i thought you ment Australia has neither straight Butane or Straight Propane but i realised you ment it has not got Straight Butane thats why i said sorry

Now the ones who supply me with propane say with the higher heat with propane there for more power but there was more they pointed out on the fact sheet as well and like i said I know nothing about this
The easiest way for me to explain it is to show you the sheet
You seem to know more than me so in the interests of knowledge i was interested in your veiw as i obviously am lacking in any knowledge into the facts of the different gases

But to me it seems like you think all im trying to do in shoot you down NOT THE CASE and to be honest i am frustrated in trying to just get an oppinion from someone who obviosly knows more about this side of it than me

All i want to find out is if the suppliers of gas i go to are pis__in in my pocket

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
and yes i have looked up the heat of combustion of propane and butane

And because some of what they have told me i have heard over and over from different people i believed what they told me about the propane now your saying and i quote
""its not such a bad thing to be running, it actually has more energy per litre than propane""

Now the difference is propane 0.85 HHV MJ/Kg higher than butane and propane has 0.6 LHV MJ/Kg higher than butane
What does HHV and LLV represent? Whatever they represent, do you realise that your quoted differences are per kg(it would be good to have the actual total values to understand that the % difference isnt really much). Yes propane has marginally more energy than butane per kg, however, if you read carefully ......a recurring theme........it will be noticed that I quoted per litre. If you combine your per kg ratings with the densities of the two substances you will find that per litre, butane has more energy........

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So no one still thinks that a 6hp gain with a custom tune is pathetic, and shows gas offers no power increase?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
But it also offers no decrease.

AND it's less than half the price. AND converting it costs **** all.

The benefits outweigh the costs.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
But it also offers no decrease.

AND it's less than half the price. AND converting it costs **** all.

The benefits outweigh the costs.
Well actually it is a decrease, it made 6hp extra with a custom tune. Apply a custom tune to a 98 octane car and I guarantee it makes more then 6hp, hell a tune on 91 octane would make more.
It's less then half the cost, but you use alot more.
Coverting, even with the rebate on a good injected system will still set you back at least $1000-1500.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
It will set you back 1 grand, but you'll make it up in no time. Punch the numbers into a calculator, we made back our XR8 in about 8 months I think. Now it's all just cash in my pocket.

I don't want to jump into the gas as a performance vehicle argument, because I have no idea. But an injected system on a stock car works a treat.

Like I said before, no difference in drivability just the bottom line. The only downside is a little bit of lost boot space, but that's a small price to pay. If someone approached you and asked you to keep a cylinder permanently in the back of your car for 2 grand a year rent. Most would say yes.

And you don't use more gas on an injected system. If you're heavy towing or putting your foot down heaps, it may use marginally more. But my gas and petrol milage are basically the same in the XR8.

What's so bad about a direct injection gas system in a V8 that isn't used for performance?

Drive a V8 with a good system, you won't be able to tell the difference.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It will set you back 1 grand, but you'll make it up in no time. Punch the numbers into a calculator, we made back our XR8 in about 8 months I think. Now it's all just cash in my pocket.

I don't want to jump into the gas as a performance vehicle argument, because I have no idea. But an injected system on a stock car works a treat.

Like I said before, no difference in drivability just the bottom line. The only downside is a little bit of lost boot space, but that's a small price to pay. If someone approached you and asked you to keep a cylinder permanently in the back of your car for 2 grand a year rent. Most would say yes.

And you don't use more gas on an injected system. If you're heavy towing or putting your foot down heaps, it may use marginally more. But my gas and petrol milage are basically the same in the XR8.

What's so bad about a direct injection gas system in a V8 that isn't used for performance?

Drive a V8 with a good system, you won't be able to tell the difference.
Sorry but I couldn't bring myself to drive a gas powered V8, leave it to the BBQ's and taxi's.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry but I couldn't bring myself to drive a gas powered V8, leave it to the BBQ's and taxi's.
Irrationality at its very best. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
It's less then half the cost, but you use alot more.
Coverting, even with the rebate on a good injected system will still set you back at least $1000-1500.

Exactly! In some cases people use almost twice as much LPG as petrol to cover the same amount of km.

And Kruddy is going to be removing the LPG installation rebate too.

If you buy a brand new car, do a conversion to LPG and use only LPG for the duration you own the car, you will NOT recoup the costs before you buy a newer car.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly! In some cases people use almost twice as much LPG as petrol to cover the same amount of km.

And Kruddy is going to be removing the LPG installation rebate too.

If you buy a brand new car, do a conversion to LPG and use only LPG for the duration you own the car, you will NOT recoup the costs before you buy a newer car.
Rubbish. You can make the cost back in less than a year.

And you don't use more LPG on direct injection systems. Only a few ml's more under heavy load, but not enough to really notice.

You're looking for select facts, changing them and you're trying to use them for your argument. Keep the facts as they are and just accept what the facts lead to.