Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear box help

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
hey guys my car is slipping/missing gears, it revs out thn slams into the next gear, sometimes it wont move until i floor it thn slams into a higher gear and takes off, my mum reckons i can jst get my gear box belts adjusted so i rang up and the guy reckons tht its stuffed? is this guy bullshitting or wat and help would be great!

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Check you kickdown cable

Check the kickdown cable is adjusted properly, if the car still kicks into the next gear nice and hard then the transmission is still probably fairly serviceable.

To adjust the kick down cable pop the hood and locate your Throttle body, this should have two cables going to it. The one furthest to the rear of the car is the throttle cable, the one closest to the front of the car is the kickdown cable, follow the kickdown cable from the throttle body to the plate that holds the kickdown cable adjuster, it has a button on the front off it and a sliding nose part that faces the throttlebody. Press the button and push the nose part back in (so the nose gets shorter). Let the button go. Now hop in the car and slowly push your foot down on the accelerator untill it hits the floor (car doesnt need to be on, in fact DONT TURN CAR ON).

You should probably here some clicks as the adjuster (nose part) relocates, hop out have a look the nose should have popped out a bit. Close bonnet go for cruise.... Hopefully all is good.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
And yes probably that guy is bullshiting, but i havent seen the car nor am i a mechanic by trade. But i have played with my kickdown cable and gotten what you sound like you have goin on.

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
Apoc said:
And yes probably that guy is bullshiting, but i havent seen the car nor am i a mechanic by trade. But i have played with my kickdown cable and gotten what you sound like you have goin on.

so everything tht guy jst said was bullshit was it?