Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Transmission Problem.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
The problem with rebuilding these transmissions is that it will happen again in a few years time... I don't know if 6 spd auto conversions are a thing, but then you might as well sell this SV6 and buy one with the 6 spd auto...
They do have quality complete overhaul kits available that have fixed many of the early problems these boxes had but the problem here in OZ is you have to talk to the builder and make sure he is using the newer components as most don't give a fudge.
Putting a 6 speed in might be a thing I have never looked to be honest.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does that include a new converter and removal & fitting? I thought $5k was just to overhaul the trans.
It would want to include the convertor as that needs replacing although who knows what he was quoted for

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
They do have quality complete overhaul kits available that have fixed many of the early problems these boxes had but the problem here is OZ is you have to talk to the builder and make sure he is using the newer components as most don't give a fudge.
And that's another thing, you got to find somebody who will rebuild these things...

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The problem with rebuilding these transmissions is that it will happen again in a few years time... I don't know if 6 spd auto conversions are a thing, but then you might as well sell this SV6 and buy one with the 6 spd auto...
I don’t think anyone would buy that sv6 with a busted transmission unless the car was stupid cheap

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The transmission is most likely stuffed, and being a 5spd auto, they're known for failing and if you were to rebuild the trans, it will only last another 2 or 3 years... Just ask @Fu Manchu and his transmission nightmares on his old VE Calais...
I wonder why they can’t rebuild the transmission properly

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I wonder why they can’t rebuild the transmission properly
Well I've heard the reason why is because they were used for a short amount of time, so parts are harder to find and people don't have as much experience with them...

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I've heard the reason why is because they were used for a short amount of time, so parts are harder to find and people don't have as much experience with them...
They were used in the USA for a long time so parts are easily obtainable including master rebuild kits and valves, bushes everything.
In OZ we don't do a lot of kits but in the USA you can pick up entire kits very easily with borg warner clutches and top class gaskets..
Easily get a master kit here in a few weeks and even the special tools to do the job correctly for well under $2000AU
BUT then you have to find someone to do the job OR buy the manual ($35 US) and do it yourself.
Would be a big job but doable if you have the skills, time and patience.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
They were used in the USA for a long time so parts are easily obtainable including master rebuild kits and valves, bushes everything.
In OZ we don't do a lot of kits but in the USA you can pick up entire kits very easily with borg warner clutches and top class gaskets..
Yep, that's why I said there wasn't much parts available... I was referring to parts availability locally....

The sad thing with transmission rebuilds on these 5 spd autos is that it will happen again and again, and it's just an endless cycle on a car that's not worth very much...