Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Transmission Problem.

jeffs2008/my09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Not worth rebuilding, as it's a 5 spd auto... These transmissions are the worst ones fitted to the VE's...
Why are the 5 speed triptronic the worst and can the transmission cause engine warning ⚠️to come on after it warms up after stopping it gets orange engine then warning engine check. then it won't start unless you pull it out of park do reset key and trip at sametime it's
been doing this since December 23 as well I discovered my radiator cap had completely perished inside all threads were gone and luckily I got them out after changing it and adding coolant it was purfect until the other day now it's booked in for diagnostic as my ODB2 doesn't find any errors hopefully this will search ECU FOR ANYTHING PRIOR TO ME PURCHASING IT
any advice or help would be really appreciated

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Why are the 5 speed triptronic the worst and can the transmission cause engine warning ⚠️to come on after it warms up after stopping it gets orange engine then warning engine check. then it won't start unless you pull it out of park do reset key and trip at sametime it's
been doing this since December 23 as well I discovered my radiator cap had completely perished inside all threads were gone and luckily I got them out after changing it and adding coolant it was purfect until the other day now it's booked in for diagnostic as my ODB2 doesn't find any errors hopefully this will search ECU FOR ANYTHING PRIOR TO ME PURCHASING IT
Unfortunately, I don't have first hand experience with the 5 speed auto in these cars, so I can't help you there... You will need to create a new thread in the VE section so other members can assist you... Though I will say that transmission issues can definitely trigger an engine light on your dashboard...

The reason why the 5 speed automatics in these cars are considered horrible, is because the shift solenoids, torque converter, and even the transmission itself can fail, meaning that you'll need to rebuild your transmission or find one from the wreckers...

This brings me onto my next point, and that is due to its relatively short production run, which means that parts aren't easy to source, finding somebody who will rebuild your transmission properly (using the correct parts) will be a pain, and the rebuild will not last very long... @Fu Manchu owned a VE Calais, and went through the headache of rebuilding his 5 speed auto, twice I believe...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Here is the section you should start a new thread in:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/ve-holden-commodore-2006-2013.75/