Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'06 VE SS auto question

MC84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 Ute
Issue with the autobox not shifting into 3rd happened today on the way home from the shops. Getting there the car drove fine. Shifted into reverse to get out of the carspot and the gear took a bit longer to engage, it was probably a good 2 seconds rather than almost instantly. Driving out of the car park and up the road i noticed it would hold 2nd gear and just rev out almost as if it was in neutral with no power. Pulled over and turned ignition off and on and it was normal again. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Cheers

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Your autobox "flared up" which is common problem for that model. Luckily there is a fix that a forum member has discovered and a bunch of us have done.
Look up the "deep pan wide mouth" thread on here and read through the diagnosis and cure.
Essentially Australian designers of the Holden V8s put a shallower oil pan with a smaller filter opening (from the USA applications for the same 6 speed auto) that causes starvation and overheating of the transmission oil.
The USA models (like the Camero Z1 or Caddy CTS) pan and filter parts from the USA with a little extra oil will solve the problem.

Last edited:

MC84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 Ute
Ahh thanks mate. I'll look into it.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Same thing happened to my 07 yesterday, it was just after I gave it a bit of a boot full on my way to town, once I got to town I slowed right down and I ended up in second gear but it would'nt shift to third. I ended up around 3500 revs and it still would'nt shift so I had to pull over because of all the noise I was making. I also turned off iginition and all was good after that. I guess my issue is also the result of the shallow pan.