Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1980 VB SL Commodore

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
With EFI you need a catalytic convertor, all the emmsions ****, Having a carby or not on it, from what I've been told... 308 sound better :p look better cheaper and go with the car on a VH, Everyones putting 304s in them and they aren't anything spectacular they don't look right lol.

Will be cool to see where you go with this though.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I personally prefer the cleaner look and deep throated induction roar of an EFI Holden V8!
But then again carb or EFI, the Holden V8 is one of the best sounding small blocks, I love any 5L/308 :)

I haven't read the new NCOP in regards to engine conversions (LA3) in great detail. But prior to the introduction of the NCOP, the regulations were along the lines of this and I'd imagine they wouldn't have changed in this regard:

if you fit a later model engine to a vehicle, then the vehicle must meet the emissions standards of that engine.

So unless by some miracle you can get your carb fed VN-VS engine to comply the EFI engine emissions ADR's, then fitting a carb to an EFI engine is never going to comply.....

However..... if you fit EFI or just EFI heads with carb to a pre-VN block, then you won't need to comply with VN-VT emissions, because the engine number still identifies it as a pre-EFI engine.

Bottom line is, you'd be fairly unlucky if someone picked you up for it. If a carb was fitted to a VN-VT I'd say you'd be in strife. But I think you'd be fairly safe with a first gen. Most coppers wouldn't even realise it was a later model engine if it had a carb stuck on it

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
I personally prefer the cleaner look and deep throated induction roar of an EFI Holden V8!
But then again carb or EFI, the Holden V8 is one of the best sounding small blocks, I love any 5L/308 :)

I haven't read the new NCOP in regards to engine conversions (LA3) in great detail. But prior to the introduction of the NCOP, the regulations were along the lines of this and I'd imagine they wouldn't have changed in this regard:

if you fit a later model engine to a vehicle, then the vehicle must meet the emissions standards of that engine.

So unless by some miracle you can get your carb fed VN-VS engine to comply the EFI engine emissions ADR's, then fitting a carb to an EFI engine is never going to comply.....

However..... if you fit EFI or just EFI heads with carb to a pre-VN block, then you won't need to comply with VN-VT emissions, because the engine number still identifies it as a pre-EFI engine.

Bottom line is, you'd be fairly unlucky if someone picked you up for it. If a carb was fitted to a VN-VT I'd say you'd be in strife. But I think you'd be fairly safe with a first gen. Most coppers wouldn't even realise it was a later model engine if it had a carb stuck on it

Yeah and a nice pair of rocker covers, would be something a bit sly getting some that say 308 on it even if it was a efi block really throw some people off.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Just re stamp the block.. Then unless they recognize the header pattern is 1" out u simply can't tell.

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
well i already have a 304 so a bit late for a 308, i think ill go with carb, less fkn around, im starting to pull the motor out now, im taking it out from underneath with the K frame and swap the motor over the k fame should have it out this weekend, can 253 heads fit a 304? if so ill just get some 253/308 heads with a manifold and swap it over.

im happy that i have my own shed to do this in now, i have enthusiasm now :yeah:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
depends what is the 304 out of ?
253 heads are the same as 308 heads, so will fit any Holden V8.
However if the 304 is out of a VN-VT, the camshaft will also need to be changed due to the different port layout of the carb heads

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Plus the extractors

Pm me.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
Got the motor and tranny out. my mate has a good 308 with some work done to it he is gonna sell to me for piss cheap, what do you guys think i should do, 308 to bolt strait in or will the 304 be worth the big fk around
561788_480198262070804_716515896_n.jpg

1003834_480198388737458_430055195_n.jpg

575136_480198852070745_1311420475_n.jpg

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Personally the 308 as then you can use the trimatic box and use factory parts... But in saying that an injected five wont be much harder.

Pm me.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Old commodore = 308 and carbs.