Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Is there supposed to be a cover strip on the front of the rad?
Yes, I broke a couple of clips removing it so haven't put it back on.

What are your thoughts on the strut brace, is it worth while or more wank value? I thought about one but read they do little.
Sort of makes the front end a lot stiffer especially cornering. Kind of stops body roll as much like an thicker sway bar. But from what I've read you don't drive your ute like a rally car so I'd see little point.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I have a funny story.

When I was buying paint for the front the other day I also had a handful of degreaser cans. I saw a wrinkle black can and thought to myself "may as well do the rocker covers while they're off!" I reshuffled my hands so I could pickup the can of wrinkle BLACK, reached down, picked it up, paid and went home.

After a 2 min prep on the covers I lined up for my first spray only to find a stream of bright orange come flying across the whole back side of the covers. I paused for a second and relived what happened. Apparently I had picked up the red instead of black as I had a handful of red capped degreaser cans in my hand and had a brain fart. Yes the brain fart went all the way through to removing the red lid on the spray can and applying it without questioning it.

I figured since I'd paid for and already sprayed it on the covers that I was all to committed so finished them off. I lol'd pretty loud when it happened.

One day I'll get them soda blasted and done professionally with the engine covers. For now this is what I'm living with haha.

View attachment 218551
the wrinkle red actually doesn't looke to bad ass, its actually artistic and very bright :)
at least you didn't paint the bananas yellow by misteak ;)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
It seems, no matter if you’re in a shed out the back, or in a pro workshop building crazy cars, that moment of start up, it gets even the steadiest of hands a little anxious.
Yer , starting a brand new engine is like waiting/watching for the first baby cry after birth and probably the last time you want to hear a baby cry hehe

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fill me in guys. Are 'alteza' headlights just a clear lens with detail/texture on the reflector instead of texture/detail on the lens itself?
It does modernise it across the front doesn't it.

Whiskey, you should continue with delco tuning. I should hopefully be giving it a go in about a month.

Driving around gently on your current tune should be fine on small trips taking it easy. As you start tuning you should be making large improvements to the tune quickly. And then start on the finer tuning after that. Being that it's some common upgrades to the stock motor, you should find it easy (the big manifold on mine has thrown the tune out a bit for me which should be a bit harder to pull back, but not the end of the world)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I did a blockie yesterday and gave it the boot once just cause I wanted to feel the difference in the cam. Surprisingly it has more torque than it did with the original setup running properly but it just felt like a bag of ****. I'm going to wait and see if Mace sorts it out before I dab my fingers in something I don't understand. If I'm not happy with theirs then I'll more than likely give it a go.

Did you buy the NVRAM ($250) thing, plug ($120) and whatever the software costs if it does? Well I suppose you're might have a different computer but whichever one.

Here's a couple of snaps.

20210124_085328.jpg

20210124_085337.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
NVram $250 + $50 aldl cable (price may have changed since I purchased) + $300-400 for innovate MTX-L wideband to facilitate afr tuning. Tunerpro is free, as are the definition files for early commodores.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Should do the raspberry Pi3 tablet & ALDLdroid.

Very cool item.

Once worked it all out do one for yourself & another for this ol' bloke ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
NVram $250 + $50 aldl cable (price may have changed since I purchased) + $300-400 for innovate MTX-L wideband to facilitate afr tuning. Tunerpro is free, as are the definition files for early commodores.
Basically all those is what I got over the years.
So whiskey knows.

Cheers for the headlight close ups too.
Your ute just looks so damn clean in that video (bright white, no trolley strips, clear front lights)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Should do the raspberry Pi3 tablet & ALDLdroid.

Very cool item.

Once worked it all out do one for yourself & another for this ol' bloke ;)
Is that like live tuning software on a tablet? Can you do it on a smartphone or is the software all old school?

Basically all those is what I got over the years.
So whiskey knows.

Cheers for the headlight close ups too.
Your ute just looks so damn clean in that video (bright white, no trolley strips, clear front lights)
So we're talking $6-700 to setup? That's halfway to a Haltech... We'll see how it goes after Mace gets back to me before I start asking anymore questions as to how it works.

Cheers mate! Yeah it's far from perfect but looks clean as from a distance. In comparison to most it's age I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't mind getting the front end resprayed one day but for now, I just want it to go faster and sound better lol.