Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can't tune Memcal with Tuner Pro neither.
Can read data and tune in real time using tunerpro and an NVram. Just a little learning curve lol

Irrespective of whether it needs to be tuned though, whiskey should invest in a wideband if he hasn’t already. They’re one of the best tuning and diagnostic tools I’ve come across.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I want to do Pi3 tablet dash thing with ALDLdroid...sleep deprived shiftwork makes me brain dead to learn it properly & lack of patience from farked roster lol.

But yeah that stuff is cool to have especially if you know what to look at & problem area to focus on.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I have some strange news. I dove to work yesterday and around town a bit and had no error/surging problems during multiple times during the day and different temps.
It's the first time I haven't reset the PCM to clear the 44 code so maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno if it's done some learning and got over it but yeah I dunno. It is however still dropping a little fuel while cold and backfiring a toouch but 1/4 as much as it was. It just need 1/2 mins idling to overcome this. I did around 25kms highway driving and 10kms at 40kmph. The highway is usually most of the cause of issue but it does something go weird after a while in town. Anyway I'm going to take it again now and see what happens.

Yeah NVRAM is what I was looking at so I could live tune if I wanted. Not saying I would I just might as well get the better one so I don't double dip in the future.

I had no idea what a wideband was until I just did a google and read the first thread. Correct the following if I'm wrong.
An o2 that works in a limited af range in closed loop and simply does nothing if the af ratio is to far out. A wideband adjusts across the entire range. Now if this is correct how does the standard PCM adjust this? Has it got the computing power to do so with minor wiring mods?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can use it stand-alone, or if wanting to tune you can set it up so that the pcm can take the input and plot the data when you’re data logging. It’ll tell you the difference between commanded and actual AFR then you apply the correction factor to your injector tables in the case of maf tuning if memory serves me (you would apply to ve table if map tuning).

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
A wideband adjusts across the entire range. Now if this is correct how does the standard PCM adjust this? Has it got the computing power to do so with minor wiring mods?
Check back on my VR V8 build thread, as I did the wideband and wired it into the ecu about a year ago. Was pretty bloody easy to be honest.
Just waiting for my NVram to arrive (I'm not in a super hurry)

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Yeah cheers guys all noted for the future.

Update on it. I have driven it around 80kms in the city, highways and stopping and starting heaps for the last 2 days and haven't had a problem with it. The fault code even cleared itself and I'm only getting that illustrious 12 for the first time in 12+ months. Oh how my mood has changed!

As I'm going to be away for most of the next 6 weeks or so I've calmed down and think I'll wait until I have some time to learn it properly. I'm aware I said the same thing a couple of months ago, but I know I'll get the kit and not use it for ages as I wont have any real need or want to invest my mental time in it.

If I get back in a couple of weeks and it runs **** again I'll drop the coin. If it's still good then I'm going to dump the money into some 3.7s and a truetrac/torqueloc.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
you won’t know yourself. Diff gears have to be one of the best mods I’ve ever done.
I've said it before that the 3.08 to 3.45 diff swap didn't feel much different in mine and also didn't change my qtr times. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea (maybe I should have gone 3.7’s too)
But thought I would share the best mod I did which was ditching the 2.25" y-pipe and getting 2.5" equal length centre section up to the first muffler. Huge difference for the money outlayed.