Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Baretta wheels on VF II

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In NSW, at least, the wheel diameter is irrelevant & what matters is the overall rolling-diameter of the tyre plus the width of the wheel. Even if the 20’s hadn’t been an option, the fact that HSV’s are considered the same chassis means that whatever maximum widths they ran is considered the max ‘standard’ width, then you’re allowed an extra inch of rim width (assuming no rubbing nor offset change nor do the wheels or tyres protrude from under the guards).

Attachments

• vsi-09-alternative-wheels-tyres.pdf
    498.4 KB · Views: 473

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In NSW, at least, the wheel diameter is irrelevant & what matters is the overall rolling-diameter of the tyre plus the width of the wheel. Even if the 20’s hadn’t been an option, the fact that HSV’s are considered the same chassis means that whatever maximum widths they ran is considered the max ‘standard’ width, then you’re allowed an extra inch of rim width (assuming no rubbing nor offset change nor do the wheels or tyres protrude from under the guards).
From a strict compliance perspective, anything that is not defined within the RVD for a specific ‘model variant’ is considered a modification.

In Ron’s case, his SS Black only specified standard 18x8” and optional 20x8.5” wheel/tyre. So using 19” OEM wheels from another model, which are equal in offset, track and running diameter, are an uneventful mod but a mod nevertheless. I believe the max width he can go to is 9.5”...

To date, a slack approach has been taken by the rego authorities as to ‘model’ vs ‘model variant’. And VSI 6, 9 & 14 all play a part in what’s allowed when modifying a vehicle. But these VSI’s are only a simplified interpretation of the ADRs and a manufacturers compliance of their vehicle model variants (model variants being the operative word).

The driver behind this changing view is ABS/ESC. Such is going to have an impact on the current rego authorities view of the rules and what’s allowed. They’ll likely tighten up their interpretation for vehicle modifications much as they did with 4x4 lift issue (the **** storm that became). That’s because when the manufacturer compliance’s a vehicle, they specify lots of certification test data with model variant specific ABS/ESC calibration data (which is not publicly available). It’s becoming a pain and will force more mods to be engineered.

So, sadly, the wheel/tyre specification in the RVD for a given model variant is the critical and relevant starting point. An Evoke, as an example, the wheel/tyre combo that is specified in that RVD for that variant is considered the starting point, what wheel/tyre combo a HSV has is not so relevant.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
From a strict compliance perspective, anything that is not defined within the RVD for a specific ‘model variant’ is considered a modification.

In Ron’s case, his SS Black only specified standard 18x8” and optional 20x8.5” wheel/tyre. So using 19” OEM wheels from another model, which are equal in offset, track and running diameter, are an uneventful mod but a mod nevertheless. I believe the max width he can go to is 9.5”...

To date, a slack approach has been taken by the rego authorities as to ‘model’ vs ‘model variant’. And VSI 6, 9 & 14 all play a part in what’s allowed when modifying a vehicle. But these VSI’s are only a simplified interpretation of the ADRs and a manufacturers compliance of their vehicle model variants (model variants being the operative word).

The driver behind this changing view is ABS/ESC. Such is going to have an impact on the current rego authorities view of the rules and what’s allowed. They’ll likely tighten up their interpretation for vehicle modifications much as they did with 4x4 lift issue (the **** storm that became). That’s because when the manufacturer compliance’s a vehicle, they specify lots of certification test data with model variant specific ABS/ESC calibration data (which is not publicly available). It’s becoming a pain and will force more mods to be engineered.

So, sadly, the wheel/tyre specification in the RVD for a given model variant is the critical and relevant starting point. An Evoke, as an example, the wheel/tyre combo that is specified in that RVD for that variant is considered the starting point, what wheel/tyre combo a HSV has is not so relevant.

Max i can go is 9" which is what I have on the back now.
The guide talks about 12.5mm variation max per side...

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Beretta is a company brand selling firearms.

Trademark allows use of a term/name in another market segments where the trademark holder is not operating within. So one could use the exact same term for a wheel rim model name or indeed a company name for a business making wheels...

There is no need to get the firearm maker‘s permission, Beretta, to make wheels called Baretta, Beretta or such. Restrictions only apply if market confusion would be caused between manufacturers/products in the same market segment...

Now if the baretta wheels were advertised as ‘gun wheels’, that would be a problem ;)
Or if you asked for a Beretta mag.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Spot on!

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
From my own research, the difference of ride quality between 19" & 20" is barley noticeable. However 18" to 19" is a more noticeable change in ride quality.
Aside from that there are other considerations such as range of tyre choices/availability/cost and risk of pothole damage. I would love to have 20"s on mine but my more conservative and practical side says tells me to stick with 19's as they still look great.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Rim/wheel combos are uniform across Australia....ie, providing the rolling radius is the same as per factory, the load/speed ratings are equal or greater than the factory issue and there is no rubbing of body panels, or fouling of suspension components, they can be fitted.

This is 1 area that is uniform across the board in Australia, when it comes to upgrading

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Simple fact is, upgrades, providing they meet the above mentioned parametres I have listed, is an accepted upgrade, Australia wide. It also doesn't matter what model variant the car came from the factory as...The upgrades are permitted, without any fear of repercussions from an Australian Rego authority....

As a tyre fitter, I must be aware of these upgrades, because if an interstate car comes in and requires rubber/wheels fitted, I must fit the correct tyre/wheel to suit the vehicle, otherwise I am responsible for any issues that crop up as a result of an incorrect tyre/wheel being fitted.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Rim/wheel combos are uniform across Australia....ie, providing the rolling radius is the same as per factory, the load/speed ratings are equal or greater than the factory issue and there is no rubbing of body panels, or fouling of suspension components, they can be fitted.

This is 1 area that is uniform across the board in Australia, when it comes to upgrading
There’s a rim-width issue though, isn’t there? In most states, only 1” wider than “standard” is allowed?
I mean the definition of “standard” is potentially what’s being argued here, innit? ie. whether an Omega can fit wheels 1” wider than a GTS is a question; but if we take a Honda Accord which was only ever fitted with 6.5” wide wheels, then only 7.5” wheels can be fitted (assuming no fouling & the same offset)?