Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Mags Cracking on my VF

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I don’t consider $1500 to be much for a set of aftermarket rims, good quality forged will cost more.

I’ve been running 20 inch rims on 8 different cars since 2006 and only ever cracked one.

I hit a wash away at speed that I couldn’t see in the rain, it was a trench about foot wide and 6 inches deep where a service across the road had washed away.

I wasn’t helped by the fact I was also running 285/25R20 tyres.

It was a 3 piece forged rim and the manufacture arranged for the rim to be disassembled and a new barrel fitted all free of charge.

The rim was 5 years old at the time it cracked.

Prior to that the only rims I ever cracked were two 18 inch rims from a set I bought from Tempe Tyres for about what you are speeding.

It’s cheaper in the end to pay extra for quality if you can afford to.

This is a photo of the barrel after it was removed, it cracked in two places.

View attachment 233812

Hmmm - Tempe Tyres.
They seem to be always the cheapest place to buy tyres as well, but I'm not sure if they are imported through the "kosher" channels.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hmmm - Tempe Tyres.
They seem to be always the cheapest place to buy tyres as well, but I'm not sure if they are imported through the "kosher" channels.

Tempe import through the right channels.....It's the way they treat employees which is questionable...

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
I don’t consider $1500 to be much for a set of aftermarket rims, good quality forged will cost more.

I’ve been running 20 inch rims on 8 different cars since 2006 and only ever cracked one.

I hit a wash away at speed that I couldn’t see in the rain, it was a trench about foot wide and 6 inches deep where a service across the road had washed away.

I wasn’t helped by the fact I was also running 285/25R20 tyres.

It was a 3 piece forged rim and the manufacture arranged for the rim to be disassembled and a new barrel fitted all free of charge.

The rim was 5 years old at the time it cracked.

Prior to that the only rims I ever cracked were two 18 inch rims from a set I bought from Tempe Tyres for about what you are speeding.

It’s cheaper in the end to pay extra for quality if you can afford to.

At the moment, $1500 is kinda my top end of what I'm able to spend, was just mainly wondering if these wheels I plan on buying are gonna end up in the scrapyard the moment I hit a pothole, or if they're up for more of a beating. I had my second cracked rim replaced today with a 20" Simmons FR1, which was all they had in stock for 20", the bloke at Bob Jane Tmarts was praising them for their top quality, and I bought the single wheel for $325 and planned to use it as a spare when I get my 4 set.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I hit a pot hole with HSV 20s that took out both driver side tyres yet no rim damage.
I think factory rims are made a lot stronger than aftermarket ones. Not that I have anything to back that up with other than not really hearing about people with cracked factory rims. It’s nearly always aftermarket ones.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think factory rims are made a lot stronger than aftermarket ones. Not that I have anything to back that up with other than not really hearing about people with cracked factory rims. It’s nearly always aftermarket ones.

I may be wrong but I believe at least HSV rims are forged.

Also, @Skylarking has a link for a good video showing the failings of cheap rims.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Factory rims seem to have a lot of weight to them. Not sure if that means much?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think factory rims are made a lot stronger than aftermarket ones.
From what I’ve been told by industry insiders, aftermarket wheels don’t have to meet the same stringent standards as OEM wheels supplied to vehicle manufacturers specs must meet. The end result is that like for like construction and looks, factory wheels are always stronger than aftermarket wheels and that’s no5 even considering issues of counterfeit rims…
Also, @Skylarking has a link for a good video showing the failings of cheap rims.
Google to the rescue :p

The taller the tyres aspect ration the less the rim suffers on our pothole riden roads. But have 20” rims with 35 to 45 aspect ratio tyres and you need a real strong rim… no hiding that fact…

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They'll work on VE/VF, 20x9 and 20x10.5 if they can reduce the rear offset 3mm (likely possible) you can run 295/30's on the rear, 255/35's on the front same diameter tyres F&R.

My Chev SS Forgestar's are a similar style I imported from the USA, I don't think they're sold here.

20220124_201550.jpg