Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VTII Olympic Pack

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Started my scratch removal mission this afternoon. Wetsanding is quite useful, of all scratches attempted, was able to get most out.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
looks like a good solid daily (if that is the purpose intended).
Will be interesting to see how it progresses over time.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like a good solid daily (if that is the purpose intended).
Will be interesting to see how it progresses over time.

Thank you

My daily is a 2015 Mazda3 - this is my 'classic' for the lack of a better word. When I was looking to replace my '81 Volvo I went back and forth and concluded that the 'classics' that I lusted after as a teenager in the 90s had shot up too much in value to present any reasonable value now, especially pre 1980 Aussie cars. Additionally, on a personal level I couldn't really relate to the older stuff anyway - as I am only in my 30s I cannot recall what motoring was like in the 70s/80s.

After some dithering, I decided I'd want a Commodore again. I was looking around for a Commodore that was at least 15 years old. After a convoluted story I wound up with this - on a personal level, I loved the VT when it was new, and my parents bought a VTII Acclaim new. As my first car, I wanted a VT, but unfortunately (in a way) wound up with a Corolla instead.

If it was just a regular VT Exec I may not have given it another look but it was in reasonable condition, had fully documented history and the interesting talking point of being an ex-Olympic vehicle.

Plans are to polish/wetsand the paint to restore the finish and remove the hundreds of fine scratches on the vehicle, and to have the hail damage removed by my PDR guy. Then I'll be rebuilding the suspension (shocks, springs, front bushings), the brakes (discs, pads all round and reco'd calipers at the front) and replacing the rocker cover gaskets. Rear tyres are bald-ish so they'll need replacing too.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
So anyway I ordered the rest of my parts just now. Reconditioned calipers front and rear, some genuine GMH brake hoses on the front, set of new front mudflaps, new radio antenna, new headlamp protectors. Tyres booked in for Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
New tyres fitted; highway vibration has ceased

wasted_days

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo, HJ Sandman project
this is my 'classic' for the lack of a better word........... lol.... if u have a 2015 mazda3 for a daily why do this for a project? In the end it'll always only be worth what a daily driver is worth for what it is. I dunno..... lol

wasted_days

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo, HJ Sandman project
I can't talk much because my current daily is a VY wagon..... & I'm in the process of doing a VH commodore wagon for my winter daily as it doesn't have A/C.... & my projects & summer weekend cruising vehicles are a little special or maybe I'm just special ed hahahaa

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
this is my 'classic' for the lack of a better word........... lol.... if u have a 2015 mazda3 for a daily why do this for a project? In the end it'll always only be worth what a daily driver is worth for what it is. I dunno..... lol

If you read that earlier post, you will see why I chose this vehicle as a project. Not doing it for the money. Just something to do.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I sometimes wonder if people on this forum really understand what owning and restoring an older model to the best standard possible is really all about.

It's not about the money. It's the satisfaction and feeling of achievement that goes with doing it yourself and knowing that it won't let you down because you know what you've done to make it reliable. So what if it's just an Exec or a limited edition model that doesn't have a high resale? If you like the car and enjoy building it up into your pride and joy, screw those who say "why bother?"

If you've never done it, you wouldn't understand.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Calaber.

Also bear in mind that if history repeats itself, all family Holdens become appreciating classics - eventually. VT-VX models will never be getting any cheaper. A 2000 model car is already in the 80-85th percentile of cars that are on the road in terms of age.

I could have saved up more and got the SS that I initially wanted but the history, the fact it comes with original number plates, all documentation, to me makes it more interesting than an SS with precisely zero background story and 20 owners.

But anyway I replaced the caster bushes just now. Absolutely dead simple, easy job to do. Has improved the 'brakes pulling to the left' issue but not completely - front wheel still locking prematurely. I will still be rebuilding the brake system when I have all the parts in.