Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ sv6 slight overheating issues

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
can i leave that huge plastic cover off above the radiator?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
can i leave that huge plastic cover off above the radiator?
Leave it off if you like.
It is there to stop you losing fingers and hands while the engine is running.
It may also assist air flow through the radiator and around the engine, not sure.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
DOES IT MATTER IF i put some water in the radiator until I get some coolant, like 600mls via the pressure cap??

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
It only took about 100 mls of water before it was full under the pressure cap, do you think I should get a new cap? Ive heard this fix peoples problems??

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Check if yours is holding pressure first. If it doesn't then get a cap

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Check if yours is holding pressure first. If it doesn't then get a cap
I bought one because I took mine out and had a close look and its pretty worn with fine cracks along the outside of the seal, and Ive read on here that it fixes many problems so for 16 buck I thought Id give it a try. So if it still gets warm, do you think I should completely empty the sealant and put fresh sealant in? I wasnt sure whether to get the small 1 litre top up bottle at autobarn or the big 5 litre one? And do you know when you fill up new coolant, how do you get rid of the existing coolant in the coolant reservoir? I know theres a tap for the radiator, not for the cooling area though, not sure though.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The age of the coolant won't cause it to get hot so replacing it won't fix your problem. Just work out if it's building up and holding pressure with the new cap first. Also check everywhere you can see for red leaks.
If it holds pressure and isn't blocked it should cool fine

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
so the motor is still hot (top of it), and the radiator pipe under the pressure cap still hot, hot enough for me not to hold my hand on it longer then 20 seconds. This is 2 hours after I took it up the street 5 minutes away and before then I went into town about 40 minutes return. How hot do these motors get? Trying to work out what is normal? but the temp gauge didnt get past two notches today to go and grab the new cap.