Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 60th Ann Commodore Dead on Corners

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hi I am a new to this site and am just seeking a bit of info (I am female & don’t know too much about cars) so I purchased a 2008 60th Anniversary Holden a VE model from new. Not too many problems with it until about 8 months ago, when out of the blue sometimes when I am turning corners, going around roundabouts it seems to cut out... not every time just every so often. It seems to happen as I am decelerating into an intersection then accelerating out of it.

Unfortunately for me it seems to happen in dangerous areas like across lanes turning onto highways, or turning from one highway to another one at traffic lights or at airport intersections with buses taxis vans and trucks - the engine just dies! It does start back up again as soon as I turn it off then turn it back on so that is something to be thankful for ... I guess

I took it back to Holden but they say there is no error codes so cant fix it - then they said next time it happened to drive it straight there - did that still no error codes - they then said have it towed to them (did not do that) but have been back to Holden about six times they have had my car for a two week period then after it happened last time I have given them my car for another three weeks! I seriously don’t want it back til it is fixed as it is breaking down in dangerous places! I have no idea how to get this sorted Holden just keep saying they can’t get it to fault so there is nothing they can do - I now have a car that likes to stop - no help from Holden - and about a $300 bill for them testing out that they can’t fix it! Any one else had this same issue and worked out how to fix it or how to make it happen so I can show Holden? I know there are similar issues reported but they are looking for ways to repair the issue what I need to know is what is happening so I can tell Holden and they can fix or how many people have had this issue (they say Holden has never heard of this issue) or I will just flick the car and buy something else that doesn’t stop dead! Please help if you can... Thanks in advance

I'm a Holden tech and haven't heard of this issue before.

When the engine dies is the dash, radio, AC etc still powered up or do you also lose electrical power?

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
The RACV guy has changed the battery for us in the last 12 months - but will check the terminals ourselves. maybe we should have the RACV guy check the battery for faults?

When it (the horrid car) dies the green LED lights in the middle part of the dash still count down to "0" (it feels like the car is mocking me) - the a/c and radio not 100% sure as both have not been on when it has happened. The clock is still showing the time and date. The power steering stops working all I can do put on the hazards lights (which still work) and drag the heavy steering wheel to the side of the road then turn the ignition off - I then turn it straight back it works fine again like nothing has happened - except it has - the stupid car has broken down across a motorway, at busy traffic lights, halfway around a roundabout, going around a corner - normally in very busy traffic! The taxis, buses, shuttles and passenger cars were not understanding at Melbourne airport as they tooted and used special signals at me!

Thanks

Last edited:

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
Can't you get one of the holden guys to come in car with you while it happens? Seems wierd that they cannot replicate the problem. They aren't going to try hard to find a solution to a problem they have proof of it happening.

The amount of times you have been to them since August they should of just jumped in with you if its still happening.

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
The guys from Holden have had the car over extended periods of time - up to 3 weeks once even but they cant seem to get it to fault ... its a intermitent fault only seems to happen once a month or so! it is extremly frustrating ... I told the holden guy I was going to drive it off a cliff on friday I was so cross! They have offered me 12k as a trade in if I want to upgrade to a captiva(isnt that a daewoo in fancy clothes?) and pay about another 17 or 18K for the privalage - not too keen anymore based on the issues Im having with the current car - they said cause it has done 80,000km its time to trade anyway - they must be rich to trade their cars every few years! I think we paid about 30 - 35k for the car four years ago now they say its worth 12k for that means they can afford to loose about 20k in four years! Anyway - I did suggest to the dealership manager that he have his wife drive it for a few months as see what happens to her - did not go down well!

I will try RACV I guess...again and maybe another mechanic? I have let Holden head office know but they say as that the dealership cant fault it there is no fault for them to work on! I have offered them seven peoples affidavidts stating what is happening they are not interseted! Grrrr

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
The ECU may be receiving strange signals from the yaw sensor and shutting things down. I'd be surprised if it's a fuel delivery problem.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
If i were you I would go out for a drive when there are minimal cars around and try and make the car fault. Like try the same roundabouts it has failed on before and keep at it until it fails. if you do manage this go to Holden and take a tech with you and show them.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Doens't sound like fun!

Take a friend out with a video camera, and video the car's dash and through the windscreen until it does it. The take it and the video back to the (a different?) dealer.

Also, if you do have two keys, I presume you've tried them both, with the same effect?

Wednesday

Reaction score
Members Ride
60th Ann VE Holden
Hi I put this post up back in Dec 2012... Since then I have been back to the Holden dealership with the same fault a few more times. They still have been unable to replicate this issue. After an incident I take the car straight to the service dept but they say that it does not throw up a fault code ... they have suggested it that when it next happens to put it on a tow truck to their service centre - which is difficult as this fault often happens at night or in the weekend! I have lodged this issue with Holden also but they were not interested :(

The thing that stresses me out is that the car actually stops - no brakes - no acceleration - no power steering just all stops... it is often when the car accelerates and goes around a slight bend - it is frightening cause I have been caught in some very busy areas surrounded by buses trucks and cars - turning onto four lane highways ... having your car steering go very very heavy not being able to accelerate or use the breaks fully whilst in amongst several lanes of trucks buses bicycles and cars - freaks me out big time!

So my question is this ... I have been reading about the - GM issues new mass recall for power steering issue & General Motors under fire at congressional hearing ... has anyone heard of this stuff effecting the 2008 Commodore VE 60th Ann model? I just want our car fixed! Even though we had factory warranty - then took out the extended warranty - these are coming to an end! Any thoughts?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Go to another dealer at these guys sound useless.

Given there are no errors, I don't see what having a tech see it happen would do to help them diagnose it.

They are only going to see what you have told them.

There are only so many systems on a car that can cause it to shut down.

Given you are able to start it after the event with no issues, it seems that its a system doing it's job, but based on incorrect data.

For example, I know that there is a sensor that will when you have an accident will shut the car down.

Time for troubleshooting rather than diagnosing.

Also, tried the spare key?