Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 LLT VE SV6 Smoke And Misfire When Low On Fuel?

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Suggest keep your fuel above 1/2 way to stop picking up tank trash for starters.
Never let tank get low on fuel.
EFI cars should never fall below 1/4 tank due to the injectors blocking via unwanted fuel contaminants which usually reside at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
EFI cars should never fall below 1/4 tank due to the injectors blocking via unwanted fuel contaminants which usually reside at the bottom of the fuel tank.
Thats a Furphy :p

I've been running my efi cars 50kms past the fuel lamp first coming on for almost 50 years. I've been doing such without any issue until recently. And thats a lot of tanks of dino juice going through the fuel system without issue ;)

But I've had fuel contamination.

The first fuel contamination occurances was in 2015 where I could 100% identify which servo it was because the problem occured within 10 kms after grabing a full tank of dino juice. The contamination caused engine lamp to light up and engine to misfire badly enough the car couldn't be driven :rolleyes: The contamination was cleaned professionaly by a dealer. In that case either the servo didn't clean their tanks or the pump filters were sub standard or they got crud delivered but they denied all liability (to me) and said no one else had any issues :mad: Interestingly they paid my insurance company claim without question o_O

The other contamination was a year or so later and coincided with a splash and dash of 20ltrs which also set the check engine lamp :mad: In that case I cleaned the tank and injectors myself so the cost was minimal :rolleyes: The most recent was just a tank of bad fuel which caused rough running with a little pinging on heavy engine load at low revs but it sorted itelf with another 1/2 tank of clean dino juice :rolleyes:

Really, the biggest risk with letting the tank run very low is burning out your efi pump as fuel is needed for cooling. Unsurprisingly I've never had a fuel pump failure when doing 50kms past the lamp coming on as there is still 5 ltrs of fuel left to keep the pump cool :cool:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
LEGENDRY LEGEND! THANK YOU!

I have a spare 2009 ve ss ute which i use for parts, do you think the fuel pumps are the same? any sugesstion on how to access the pumps in a ute?

Internally the Fuel pumps are the same,
But
Physically I think the connections are different.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Thats a Furphy :p
Hardley a Furphy... Lay off the TV commercials mate.

It's a common occurrence with EFI's as all the sediment settles on the bottom of the fuel tank.

It may not happen right away, but slowly-slowly it will get into the injectors & cause the little spray nozzles to foul up.

You can laugh all you want & make fun of me, it doesn't bother me or hurt me.

I've seen injectors being put through the injector cleaner system & the havoc that can be caused by contaminants.

P.S.
I've been running my EFI cars to dead empty & then switching over to LPG, it hasn't happened to me personally... yet!!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Shen Long, where was I laughing (other than your last post)… where was the making fun… and what tv commercials are you referring to (all rhetorical)?

I simply disagree with your statement that crud sits at the bottom of the vehicles tank and one should always leave 1/4 of a tank before topping up as they shouldn’t run till empty (which oddly you now say you do).

Such a premise (that crud automagically builds up) is what servo’s claim whenever someone gets any fuel contamination (as if such crud only comes from anywhere else but their business).

There shouldn’t be any crud in the vehicle tank if the servo’s tanks are clean and they are correctly maintaining their pump filters. Well none that the fuel filter can’t handle during its expected service life.

I can understand how moisture makes its way into the vehicles tank but grit, rotting leaf matter and especially chemicals (used as cleaners at the refinery) can only get into the car via the servo… hence it’s their responsibility to correct but they deny cover blaming everyone else cause they know it will cost you $1000’s to proved they are the cause…

Having said all that, I do like the much older designs where the manufacturer had a drain plug at the lowest part of the car’s tank so mechanics/owners could actually flush crap out… but that was a long time ago when fuel standards were much poorer and crud within the fuel was common issue. Early on, bowsers had large glass chambers where petrol was first pumped into so you could see it was clean, later that changed to glass sight bowls with the bit that twirlEd to indicate flow before even this was removed. Now you can’t see the fuel going into your car…

PS: most people with LPG hardly use petrol because of costs so they often find poor running as the injectors block through lack of use rather than fuel contamination. Its good you run both fuels to keep your engines two fuel systems working well…

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
@Shen Long, where was I laughing (other than your last post)… where was the making fun… and what tv commercials are you referring to (all rhetorical)?

I simply disagree with your statement that crud sits at the bottom of the vehicles tank and one should always leave 1/4 of a tank before topping up as they shouldn’t run till empty (which oddly you now say you do).

Such a premise (that crud automagically builds up) is what servo’s claim whenever someone gets any fuel contamination (as if such crud only comes from anywhere else but their business).

There shouldn’t be any crud in the vehicle tank if the servo’s tanks are clean and they are correctly maintaining their pump filters. Well none that the fuel filter can’t handle during its expected service life.

I can understand how moisture makes its way into the vehicles tank but grit, rotting leaf matter and especially chemicals (used as cleaners at the refinery) can only get into the car via the servo… hence it’s their responsibility to correct but they deny cover blaming everyone else cause they know it will cost you $1000’s to proved they are the cause…

Having said all that, I do like the much older designs where the manufacturer had a drain plug at the lowest part of the car’s tank so mechanics/owners could actually flush crap out… but that was a long time ago when fuel standards were much poorer and crud within the fuel was common issue. Early on, bowsers had large glass chambers where petrol was first pumped into so you could see it was clean, later that changed to glass sight bowls with the bit that twirlEd to indicate flow before even this was removed. Now you can’t see the fuel going into your car…

PS: most people with LPG hardly use petrol because of costs so they often find poor running as the injectors block through lack of use rather than fuel contamination. Its good you run both fuels to keep your engines two fuel systems working well…
Sorry, i hope that the attached screenshot helps...

Sorry it wasnt you... But its still not a "Furphy"

I stand by my statement(s)

& i also agree with your statements too within this post...

I remember the time re: the glass chambers & being able to see the actual fuel being pumped into the vehicle.

I have no choice re: Petrol vs LPG, my vehicle is EFI LPG injected & as such always starts on fuel unless its reached its operating temp.

So at least 5mins of Petrol run time each day [minimum]

P.S. the Furphy TV commercial... [So when you say to me "thats a Furphy" - i hope you know what youre talking about & where it originated from]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.17.02 pm.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.17.02 pm.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
P.S. the Furphy TV commercial... [So when you say to me "thats a Furphy" - i hope you know what youre talking about & where it originated from]
The commercial is funny but the history of Furphy dates back to the 1880’s and the slang derived during the 1st world war… That’s well before the beer company came to life in 2014.

At least the commercial pays homage to the origins of the tall tales, embellishment and gossip around a drink (of water)… modded for marketing and to sell grog.

The beer companies take of history

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
The commercial is funny but the history of Furphy dates back to the 1880’s and the slang derived during the 1st world war… That’s well before the beer company came to life in 2014.

[/URL]

At least the commercial pays homage to the origins of the tall tales, embellishment and gossip around a drink (of water)… modded for marketing and to sell grog.

The beer companies take of history

[/URL]
Hence why you've been watching tooo many commercials.

Obviously, TV commercials & possibly beer companies etc pay homage to some past historical event/person etc.

My point still remains though...

Don't go under 1/4 tank

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hence why you've been watching tooo many commercials.
Never seen that or any commercial that plays on Furphy and until your links had never heard of Furphy beer ;)

Why not be extra safe and make sure you don’t go under 3/4 of a tank :cool:

Me, I’ll continue to do what I’ve always done :cool: