Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Phantom, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
    Hey Woollie.
    Have you been driving the car harder than usual? The last 1200ks i did, I used 1litre , but I drove like it was stolen most of the time. They said they could not see any leaks etc, whatever that means, and advised it is just burning it off into the ether. Anyways, i will keep updating this thread. After the next 1000k oil consumption check, i am going to change to a full synth oil 5W30 or 5W40. see how that goes

2. SSVAGON

SSVAGON New Member

Members Ride:
    VEII SV6 Ute
    Did the same with the same result, prior to this the dealer had been using that Castrol GTX professional semi synth 10W30 rubbish.

Has used no oil in 5000ks. I will only be using Penrite 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine from now on.

3. Woollie

Woollie New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 SERIES 2
    Yeah, I've been driving a bit harder when the kids aren't in the car...lol. From a lot of the answers I've read I think full synthetic is the way to go. Maybe Holden need to change their recommendations on oil.

4. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    Just to clarify, did you think you where using a lot of oil in the first place?
    Did you undertake the oil consumption test with ur holden dealer?
    How much oil where u going through, say every 1000ks -3000ks? or so?

5. SSVAGON

SSVAGON New Member

Members Ride:
    VEII SV6 Ute
    Early in the cars life it was using around 1 to 1.5 Lt per 5000ks.
    No, I did not do a consumption test.
    The consumption appeared to be getting better (less) the more Ks the car did.

Car now has around 40,000 on it.

Hope things work out for you guys, maybe just give it a chance. Change to full syn oil and see how it goes.

6. wortus

wortus Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
    Holden have a long history of telling customers that excessive oil consumption is normal and putting a figure on what is an acceptable amount of oil to burn. This happened in the either the VR or VS and they changed the dip stick to increase the sump capacity on effected cars from memory.
    If your told the oil consumption is normal and your not happy with that ask for it in writing and then tell them your going to the EPA to get the exhaust emmissions checked, you will probably find that with the oil comsumption rates they say are normal the car will not meet it's ADR's for exhaust emmissions if it does then they will have to fix it properly instead of fobbing you off.
    A friend had this exact issue with his new VR Acclaim and that's what he did and the engine was rebuilt for him.

7. Woollie

Woollie New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 SERIES 2
    Another question I have for you guys is this......do you notice smoke from the rear of the car under heavy acceleration? I know that when I put my foot down I blow a fair bit of smoke which obviously tells me that it's burning the oil pretty damn rapidly. Could this also be caused by faulty or rings that aren't bedding properly?

8. vicarious

vicarious New Member

Members Ride:
    VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
    yes have noticed

9. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    Nah no smoke, I took off the air intake pipe from air filter to T/B and no pools of oil in there, but I did notice that the clamp was loose on the air box side??? very loose, would have been sucking in air after the filter, not good. I do not know how long this has been loose for, but probably was forgotten by whichever apprentice that worked on my car last at holden dealer. WTF??

10. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    Expressing my disappointment

Why would Holden rebuild an engine, rather that replace with a new one from factory? Surely a new engine would be cheaper?
    I for one would not want a rebuild, how do you know if everything gets put back correctly, plus the damages that your car would cop, from leaning on front guards etc etc. FFS the mechanics at my dealer cant even top up some oil without leaving greasy hand prints all over my car, WTF, WTF, WTF asses, imagine what I would get back if they replaced/rebuilt an engine, nah, no way.....
    Na, no way. My car would have obviously been like this from new, so, it should have been rectified before it even rolled off, as I see it, too many of the SIDI's have this problem. GMH where in the ****, the govt bailed them out, now they sell us farked engines in new cars, WTF????
    As much as i hate to say it, if it comes down to rebuild/replacement NEW engine, I think this will be the last Holden i will ever own. And I have owned a lot, EH, HR, HG, HJ, VL, VS, VY and now the VE. Not one of these cars have ever chewed oil like the VE, I am a maintanence freak, change oil regularly, never leave **** that broken, it gets fixed straight away. I would have thought that in this day and age, we would not be supplied with a farked engine that burns oil, especially an engine with 20000ks on it. WTF.
    Anyway it is pretty sad when a guy that has had Holdens all his life, cops a shitter like these new SIDI engines in his commodore. The reason we buy Holden is to support an Aussie company, WTF?
    If worse comes to worse, the car will be fixed, i will want to cash in my extended warranty, then the car will be sold and I will buy a Hyundai.
    What are Holden/GM doing????? especially when it is so hard to sell new cars etc, car companies even offering interest free etc. If I owned GM holden i would be doing a major recall, not waiting for the cust to maybe detect an issue, and fix the design of these engines.
    Thanks

11. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
    Yes I really notice it if I have done a lot of city driving, then when I boot it onto a freeway on ramp, it leaves a brown haze.

So my oil consumption has stop but I still have the brown haze.

P.s since the oil consumption has stopped I run the car at eastern creek and pulled a 15.16 which was a little slower than I thought a SV6 S2 Sportswagon would go. I hoped for a 14.9 as that's what the Camry I was racing against was running.

12. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    OK update time again:
    I have just called Holden dealer to book in for Friday to do the 3rd oil consumption check and top up, has not used as much oil as previous, as per dipstick reading.
    The service manager that was handling my case no longer works for this holden dealer, so the person i now have spoken to advises me that Holden state that when doing an oil consumption test, it needs to be commenced as soon as car is serviced, WTF, the previous guy had no issue???? This is bullshite, WTF does anybody give a F@%k anymore.
    This will definately be my last Holden I am afraid to say. Anyway, I have about 4000ks till my 30thousand k's service. So in with some full synth and I will see how that goes. If still using heaps of oil, then back on the oil consumption merry-go-round test after the service.

13. Something_Wrong

Members Ride:
    2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
    I call BS, my oil consumptions test were done at 3000km intervals with the first done when I drove in and complained about a noise, the noise was low oil.

They topped it up created a warranty card showing oil was full at XXKm and the proceeded to do 3 tests and report to Holden.

14. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    I called the GMH Tech cust care line and they also advise me BS from the dealer. He said to go and speak to the Dealership Principle. So I will be going in for the 3rd oil check BS and get them to record k's and how much oil was used in last 1000k's and send it into Holden. GMH advise oil consumption tests can start at any time.
    Why do they have to F#@k people around? Don't they realise we have sunk 30K plus into our cars, so we sort of expect a bit of loyalty and good advise from them. NO?

15. Something_Wrong

Members Ride:
    2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
    Hence why I will never buy another Holden, back to a Toyota Hilux for me in another 18mths.

16. 191kieran191

191kieran191 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
    ive got a 2012 VE Series 2 SV6 UTE and ive done 5000km and it was down to the half way marker it don't bother me i just top it up and off i go its only oil.

17. Something_Wrong

Members Ride:
    2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
    Yeah i spent $40k on a car to lift the bonnet each week and top up the oil.

18. 191kieran191

191kieran191 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
    its oil cmon don't be a tight ass. and you should be checking under the bonnet each week regardless new car or not just common sense

19. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    No its not that it is just oil and no its not that we are tight asses. The point is. a NEW FARKEN CAR SHOULD NOT BURN OIL LIKE THIS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU BRO? There is something wrong, and I, for one, intended to keep this car for a long time. Also I check under the bonnet every, farken day, cause of this oil burning issue, How tha Fark do you think I picked up this issue in the first place, I did not have to wait for the OIL light to come on.....
    I KNOW, YOU MUST BE A RICH C#NT AND CAN AFFORD TO REPLACE YOUR VEHICLES EVERY YEAR?
    The problem is that it is people like you that do not say anything to the dealers/Holden, and makes it harder for those who give a F%@k to get them to do anything.

20. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Members Ride:
    Anyway, was in at Holden dealers on Friday, got the 3rd oil consumption test done, which my car used 700mls in 1100k's, not real farken good. Then i got them to dump the old oil and I now have a fresh sump load of Castrol Edge 5W30. See how long that lasts, maybe like others on this forum, it may not burn off as quick????? Apparently Holden have a couple of test cases for oil burners and are working on a fix??? yeah, OK. I am not holding my breath.All I can say is BULLSH#T