Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Yeah i wasnt going to ask the dealer about a svesta valve, lol, you guys opullin my leg heheheh. anyway, we will see how it goes

VLBT1&VE11SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl turbo bt1, ve series 2 sv6
Ok another update:
I spoke to Watson Holden down in VIC, spoke to an excellent guy Tom, he explained to me that Holdens acceptable oil usage for a series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI is 2.5ltrs /10000ks.
I will keep updating as I investigate further.

Why give it an oil change every 30000 kms they have had a complete oil replacement.
I cant understand how the oil usage is so high. my car hasn't used oil at 23.000 km but will watch it closer. Also I drive a B-Double truck interstate and they don't use that amount of oil, and when they start using that amount they are looked at very soon

Jeff

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Different cars use different amounts due to internal clearances, PCV valves "sucking" more than they should, etc.
Nissan's acceptable usage last time I read was 1L/1000km, depending on circumstances! For a pulsar, that's a full sump load every 2600kms and still within spec? Yep...

As for the SIDI, it may be as easy as updating to a newer PCM software if that's available for your car.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
my 3.0 SIDI uses more oil than I expected, but I check it regularly.
I average 30,000 km per year, and have the car serviced at 15,000 km.
I don't add oil just before a service - that'd be a waste. In fact I've only added oil once in 2 years. So, when I go for a service, the oil is usually near the bottom of the recommended range.
Also, I found that none of the after-hours sources (Coles & Woolies servos, etc) carry 5W-30.
So, I bought 10 L of Valvoline, and I keep a litre in my tool kit, in case I need to top up while away from home.
I don't understand why the SIDI would use more oil than earlier VE & VZ, but I accept that other contributors to this thread have similar experience, so I won't fret over it.
I can't see the point of using something other than the factory-recommended oil, and the recommended service interval.
And the Holden dealer in Sydney saying that recommended oil isn't suited to Sydney temperatures: what are they smoking ?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Holden covers warranty items, not the dealership. That being said I would demand they use the oil that Holden recommends, not the dealer. If it uses excessive oil on the recommended oil then you have a case.

The exceptional amount is a bit ridiculous but thats how it is unfortunately. We have replaced engines that go beyond the acceptable limit under warranty but theres a lot of other things to try before it gets to that stage.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden covers warranty items, not the dealership. That being said I would demand they use the oil that Holden recommends, not the dealer. If it uses excessive oil on the recommended oil then you have a case.

The exceptional amount is a bit ridiculous but thats how it is unfortunately. We have replaced engines that go beyond the acceptable limit under warranty but theres a lot of other things to try before it gets to that stage.

Hey RiCey
I have called 4 Holden dealers, 3 in NSW and 1 in VIC, they all use 10W30 weight semi synth. I would use full synth 5W30, but not prepared to waste money if it is going to burn it off, maybe would if the oil was going to stay/last in the car for 15000ks, but I would never leave oil for that long, and I probably would not have any oil left after 15000ks. LOL. Damn these SIDI engines, but they do go hard.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
According to the manuals Holden released both 5w30 and 10w30 are accepted. This is for the ly7 alloytecs anyway.

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
What brand of oil does Holden use.
What does Holden actually state the sidi should use and what does your local dealership recommend?
Off to one today for the first free 3000k service... Aka look up. Tempted to buy a filter and oil and change it over afterwards

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
What brand of oil does Holden use.
What does Holden actually state the sidi should use and what does your local dealership recommend?
Off to one today for the first free 3000k service... Aka look up. Tempted to buy a filter and oil and change it over afterwards

My Holden dealer uses Castrol GTX professional semi synth 10W30, and I can not find this in any stores. On the engine oil filler cap it says 5W30, but the 4 differant dealers I have called all use 10W30 semi synth. I even spoke to a VIC dealer as well.
Also, i do not think you can change your own oil, you have to go to a certified mechanic, else your warranty may be void, FFS we cant even change our oil ourselves, WTF..
Oh well, lucky I have a mech that will stamp my book after I change the oil myself. :rockon: fark the corporations. We buy Holdens cause of Aussie pride etc ozi ozi ozi oi oi oi, the least they can do is support their product when needed, or when known issues are found

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
Interesting indeed. I am yet to find the said gtx professional anywhere either...... I would buy in bulk if I could. I am still yet to see any information about the usage of oil in the sidi motor long term.
In the old ecotec I was changing oil and filter every 5000km-8000km. From the Holden service department they have advised me I don't 'need' to with the sidi motor hmmm......

I am more incline to change oil and filter between the suggested services. No need to get book stamped if doing this way, if you plan on selling your car later on you could keep receipts for the oil and filter etc.. to show that the changes have been done more often then suggested....