Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I still think that 500mls of oil burned in 3000ks is too much, I dont give a crap if Holden say it is acceptable. Main reason for doing the oil consumption test is to get it on record and if anything happens down the track, I can say that I already flagged this issue and Holden did nothing. Will see what they come up with, will be going back on friday for them to measure how much oil I have used in 1000ks, I can already see a drop in level on the dipstick, FFS. On the other hand, I dont want my engine to burn so much oil, but I dread having the dealer mechanic smucks, having to do major work on my engine such as replacing rocker covers, FFS, when i was in there last for them to start the oil consumption test, all they had to do was top up the oil and record how much they put in, do u think they could do this simple task without leaving oily hand marks on my bonnet etc, FFS, I can work on my cars and not leave a trace of **** on the paint work. I will also be telling them this, as I have invested a lot of time in clay barring, sealing and waxing my car, and I dont appreciate smucks leaving oil prints on my car, FFS, imagine what they would do if they had to change the rocker covers.:banstick:

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Try a full synthetic next change...it may just serve to ease your mind.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi.
Quick update.
Just went for the 1000ks oil consumption measurement, and guess what....
I have used 1ltr of oil in 1200ks. WTF. :bomb:
Had a chat to service manger about an action plan.
It's up to GMH now, but he did say this looks to be more "terminal" than a PCV issue etc.
Great:censored:
:{

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
After the Holden dealer filled my SV6 S2 2011 with full Synthetic on the 30,000km service I have not used any oil in 6,000 km (I have 36,500km on the odo now)

Seems to have fixed my issue and I was using between 1.1 and 1.6ltrs every 3,000km from new

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
After the Holden dealer filled my SV6 S2 2011 with full Synthetic on the 30,000km service I have not used any oil in 6,000 km (I have 36,500km on the odo now)

Seems to have fixed my issue and I was using between 1.1 and 1.6ltrs every 3,000km from new

what rating?

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Penrite 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine...consumption dropped to negligible amounts instantly. I'm changing every 7000ks though.

Changing to a full synthetic really made the differance for you? I will see what happens over the next 1000k's and if oil consumption is still up, I will try a full synth Penrite 5W40.
Also I did drive the car like it was stolen the last 1000ks, and obviously the results speak for themselves, first oil consumption test was 500mls in 3000ks, then driving it like it was meant to be driven, I used 1litre in 1200ks. The dealer was a bit suprised, so tha #### they should be. I love my Black SV6 Sportwagon, I have put tints on her and a towbar and the paint work has had a full decontamination done and sealed and waxed, it looks awesome. I want to keep it for a long time, as I am not a rich ####, I cant afford to change vehicles every year or so, #### sakes it is the nicest car I have ever owned, I am an ol ####, 46years old, so I have had a lot of cars and bikes in my time. FFS damn these SIDI engines, but they go hard. I want my engine sorted, and if it is a case of just using a full synth oil, then why dont the dealers do this? They should know, right?
Anyway, enough of my rant for today.
Thanks guys

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
From my recollections, a key issue is where the oil is being lost.

If it is through a leak, including down the valve guides, then using fully synthetic may result in increased oil consumption. Use of a thicker oil might help in this case, say 10W40 instead of 5W-30.

However, if the oil is being lost in the combustion chamber, the higher temperature properties of fully synthetic oil may reduce the amount of oil lost.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
From my recollections, a key issue is where the oil is being lost.

If it is through a leak, including down the valve guides, then using fully synthetic may result in increased oil consumption. Use of a thicker oil might help in this case, say 10W40 instead of 5W-30.

However, if the oil is being lost in the combustion chamber, the higher temperature properties of fully synthetic oil may reduce the amount of oil lost.

Yeah see this is where the confusion is with the numbers on oil cans. the first number is how thin the oil stays when cooled, so a 5W is thinner, when cold, than 10W. The end numbers x30 or x40 are a measure of the oils viscosity when at running temps. The oil grading numbers are so confusing, but if there is a leak, then doesnt matter what oil grade you use, it will leak it, out valve guides etc. Now if the engine is a hotter running engine, such as the SIDI's then maybe, just maybe the full synth oil will tolerate this much better than a semi-synth oil and maybe, will not get burnt off as easily. I am hoping it is just a simple fix such as changing to a full synth oil, but my gut feeling is that it could be the rings, Fark knows how, on a 25000k engine????? .Anyways i will do another 1000ks and get the holden dealer to check consumption again, if it is still poor, i will change to a full synth oil, and see how that goes. I may just get lucky, but probably not.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
My test resulted in 500ml used in 2500 k's which is still pretty high IMO. They checked for leaks and none were found. Have to go back in another 3000 k's for the next test.