Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE Thunder Ute - Check engine light and other worries.

Fawky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Thunder Series ii
I have a 2011 SV6 VE thunder Ute, 68,000kms, Auto and stock.

About 6 months ago I started hearing a hissing type noise after backing off the throttle around 4000 or higher RPM.
I checked the oil and found my dipstick was dry. After taking it straight to holden for a service and check, I was told although no oil registered on the dipstick, there was still a couple litres in the sump. Once they serviced the car it was test driven and the noise was gone and has been since.

I have kept an eye on the oil level since and the last time I checked it was just over half full so I put a litre in.
After checking it 2 weeks later I found the oil level to be up over the full mark. Note that there is no way the oil I put in would have been enough for it to measure as high, let alone be over full.

3 days ago my check engine light came on. I booked a service with a local mechanic this time and he told me that there was fuel in my oil and the check engine light was triggered by the O2 sensor. Because I drive my car such short distances to and from work, it is in a "closed-loop" mode which is effectively injecting more fuel than normal to get the car warmed up and running well. I'm assuming this is relative to a type of choke or something. Apparently because of this, fuel is remaining that hasn't combusted which is then draining to the sump.

He drained about 8 litres of oil/fuel from my sump and re-set the engine fault message. While talking to him, I mentioned the noise it made when I had no oil. He started to talk to me about the possibility of the engine bearings being worn and said my oil was black when he drained it.

The car has always run fine. Never over-heated and I've never had the oil light come on.

Firstly I wanted to ask everyones opinion on what the mechanic has said about the fuel in the oil, and secondly I wanted to ask what you guys think that noise was from and if it could be due to bearings?

It sounded more like air escaping or being sucked in than metal being worn but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't worried about the noise since it happened for that short period and since I haven't heard it since, but what he began to say has concerned me.

Thanks for any advice and cheers for reading through!

Fawky