Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 SSV Redline

Enahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 vf2 ssv redline ute
Hi I have installed a xair cold air system, xair cat back and had a tune done. Dyno & mapping on my 2016 ssv red line The print out says 329 kw? I thought it would be alot more considering what has been done, what do you think?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hi I have installed a xair cold air system, xair cat back and had a tune done. Dyno & mapping on my 2016 ssv red line The print out says 329 kw? I thought it would be alot more considering what has been done, what do you think?
Dynos aren’t good for giving a solid number, their result is notoriously inaccurate (an inaccuracy often used by dyno operators who let it turn out numbers on the high side so they look good :)).

To really know what’s going on, you need the number the dyno produced before the work.

Now remember this number is at the wheels, not at the flywheel; the factory number is the flywheel, as it always has been (and it’s a more standard/repeatable number). Your car would’ve put out around the 250kW mark at the wheels when standard. So putting out nearly 330kW is a pretty big increase for not even opening the engine up & making internal changes, IMHO.
The numbers of mine are rough of course, but regardless I think yours sounds fine. :)

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Seems pretty good.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
how does it drive? are you happy with the"feel" of the car? then throw away the dyno sheet as its only a tool to show gain and they all will read differently. For example if you want to gain an extra 30rwkw, get a sheet from a hub dyno, they read higher than rollers!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
As the others have said would need to know what it was before hand, it’s just a tuning tool at the end of the day if you’re happy with how it drives then don’t get too hung up on dyno figures

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I think that's really high for a cat back and intake. What did it make on the same dyno before the work?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Seems a little high for the mods, dynos are tuning tools that can be easily minipulated to show a higher result, just switching from the current weather and altitude conditions that the car is actually seeing to SAE can see large gains

The best way to gauge engine Hp power is a simple formula based of your vehicle weight and MPH, yes, it is still a calculation, but is much more reliable than a dyno for estimating power

There are heaps of good online calculators that give a good ball park figure of what Et and MPH that your vehicle weight and power gives

Then, if you want it at the wheels, remove "around" 15%-20% for drivetrain loss

I've walked away from typical platform cars at the strip that owners have claimed that they make alot more power than my old bus, because their dyno print out says so, but, their MPH is way off the mark for their claims

In the end it is all based of calculations, but MPH don't lie when you put it into a real world scenario

My advice, take it to the strip and post the slips with the cars weight with you and the fuel in it (they should have a scale at the strip), from that we can say your car makes "around" ???kwatw

You could calculate what MPH you could get with the cars weight and what you believe the power to be, just remember to add in the % of drivetrain loss into your calcs, then, hit the strip and see how they correspond to each other

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I think that's really high for a cat back and intake. What did it make on the same dyno before the work?

yep, very good numbers for the work performed, if its RWKW

Things get a bit clouded nowadays as you have hub vs roller dyno. then you have auto vs ,manual. hard to judge what's what

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
What cam was fitted?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea on roller dyno most i ever seen was under the 300 for all boltons, the VF seemed to make more stock but just didnt gain as much, then camshaft got it to the 330ish range, now days a hub dyno will prob read in the 300's with minimal mods, if ur in the 600+ hp range there can be 80-100hp gain from roller dyno to hub dyno, unless OP is meaning hp and not kw ?