Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder failure (lost compression) no warranty VF SSV Redline

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Learnt my lesson here - trusted Midas for my car and my partners ute and his ute has had nearly every part replaced and still isn’t running :(

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
It's disgustingly wrong for a business to think they're entitled to rip women off or anyone mechanically disadvantaged. I know a couple of grubs who did this years ago who were typically unqualified repairers and tried to make a career out of charging for components they didn't replace.
This is the worst and anyone who does it should be named and shamed and run out of business.

It has happened to me a couple of times not through ignorance but trust. I used to service my car at what I thought was a reputable workshop. When I moved to back Canberra I reacquainted myself with my old mechanic. Had my car in with him for a service which included the plugs. He showed me the old plugs and they were the original Holden ones even though the previous workshop had been paid on two occasion to replace them as part of a service.

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
That’s so dodgy hey :( what they don’t realise is we now know nothing needing fixing that they fixed costing thousands…the gearbox went today so now tradie has no work ute and I have no car

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It has happened to me a couple of times not through ignorance but trust.
Misdiagnosing electrical problems is another good one where the customer ends up with a bill for a MAF, ECM, O2 Sensor for a broken wire on the coolant temp sensor. The workshop buys in components on a trial-and-error basis and charges for the lot!

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Sorry to hear that. $10k-$15k for a valve & timing chain seems rather extreme though. Just remember, a lot of shops don't want to do these big jobs so they quote a ridiculous amount to get rid of you. They like the 30 minute to 90 minute jobs where they can do the work quickly then charge 2-4 hours of shop time at $150-$250 an hour.
My mechanic wanted "$1000 or more" (his words) just for labour on a job that ended up costing me $650.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Sorry to hear that. $10k-$15k for a valve & timing chain seems rather extreme though. Just remember, a lot of shops don't want to do these big jobs so they quote a ridiculous amount to get rid of you. They like the 30 minute to 90 minute jobs where they can do the work quickly then charge 2-4 hours of shop time at $150-$250 an hour.
My mechanic wanted "$1000 or more" (his words) just for labour on a job that ended up costing me $650.
$1000 is okay if your mechanic spends the day on your job as he'd need to earn $120 per hour + GST. The problem with mechanical shops is that when a "cheap rate shop" goes down the tube because they didn't charge enough to get through, another "cheap rate shop" opens up around the corner. Mechanics doesn't work like plumbers and electricians where they all bang everyone hard and householders just pay!

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
$1000 is okay if your mechanic spends the day on your job as he'd need to earn $120 per hour + GST. The problem with mechanical shops is that when a "cheap rate shop" goes down the tube because they didn't charge enough to get through, another "cheap rate shop" opens up around the corner. Mechanics doesn't work like plumbers and electricians where they all bang everyone hard and householders just pay!
I resent the insinuation that Plumbers bang people hard and householders just pay. Please don't tar us all with the same brush.
The big firms charge the big bucks but I am a one man band and frankly I'd probably earn more with less hassle and responsibility if I just went and worked for one of the big Plumbing firms. Not all of us are rip of merchants.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
$1,000 is not OK. The mobile mechanic did it in my front yard & took 4 hours. This included entering the details in his ipad, making an itemised list, driving to Repco to buy parts & drinking a tea. At $150/hr that's $600 labour. Asshole (my shop mechanic) wanted to charge me $1000+. His greedy landlord isn't my problem. That's the price you pay for the luxury of 2 hoists & an office.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$1,000 is not OK. The mobile mechanic did it in my front yard & took 4 hours. This included entering the details in his ipad, making an itemised list, driving to Repco to buy parts & drinking a tea. At $150/hr that's $600 labour. Asshole (my shop mechanic) wanted to charge me $1000+. His greedy landlord isn't my problem. That's the price you pay for the luxury of 2 hoists & an office.
Best you start doing your own work. That way you won't get ripped off anymore.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

You obviously are out of touch with the associated costs running a business out of a workshop....It's a bit more involved than just a hoist and an office buddy

Mobile mechanics only have the costs associated with the running of a vehicle..