Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder failure (lost compression) no warranty VF SSV Redline

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The associated costs of running a mechanical workshop doesn't give someone the right to commit fraud or operate dishonestly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The associated costs of running a mechanical workshop doesn't give someone the right to commit fraud or operate dishonestly.
Best report them since fraud is illegal.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I resent the insinuation that Plumbers bang people hard and householders just pay.
People will pay far more for household repairs and alterations than they will for mechanical work on cars. I've got several good mates who are plumbers and electricians, and their employees earn them money. Half the time employing mechanics in a workshop, they're battling to earn their wages particularly with all the government entitlements on top.

$1,000 is not OK. The mobile mechanic did it in my front yard & took 4 hours.
What was the job?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You can charge what you like for mechanical repairs, $500 per hour if someone's willing to pay, it's not a regulated industry. You can't charge for something that isn't done like charging for a new engine when you changed a head gasket, but you could quote 10k for a new head gasket!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

How can they be operating dishonestly or committing fraud when they have offered a quote?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Of course they can charge whatever they want, but I have a right to ask them what that rate is per hour. This usually shuts them up immediately. It's at that point they tend to get narky/defensive & also when I decide to go elsewhere.

The job involved replacing a lower intake manifold gasket. We've been through this before in another thread.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
People will pay far more for household repairs and alterations than they will for mechanical work on cars.
I specialize in maintenance plumbing. For years I've been listening to clients whinge about how much another plumber or an electrician or air con guy or ............................ cost to do XYZ repairs. That said, there are lots of people out there who genuinely cannot afford to spend big $$$$$ on their car, or their house, or their teeth, or their .....................

The clients I really don't need are the ones that are telling me how to do their job and how long it will take, and they haven't even told me where they live yet.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Of course they can charge whatever they want, but I have a right to ask them what that rate is per hour. This usually shuts them up immediately. It's at that point they tend to get narky/defensive & also when I decide to go elsewhere.

The job involved replacing a lower intake manifold gasket. We've been through this before in another thread.
They should always advise new clients what their labour rate is, you shouldn't have to ask.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is going way off topic. Create your own thread please if you wish to continue this argument.