Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 sv6 fuel filling not shutting off when full

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
VR, i wish it was like a VF. I have tried the nozzle in every possible position and it still does it. I can only insert it 25mm past the flap or the bastard shuts off. I too think it's operator error or pump problem as it's the nozzle sensing the fuel that shuts it off. The vehicle should have no bearing on it continuing to flow but anything is possible. I wonder if it's back flow by going flat out until it clicks off the first time. I think this has sort of been mentioned, which is normal.

My VN in the day with 80 litre tank would click off at 60 litres. The breather tube was crushed when they installed the tank. Fixed it and then able to fill 80 litres.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah replaced my main breather and still does it. Although a funny thing happened last night. I went to the local Caltex and not the WW Caltex and fuel flowed out on the ground four times because I was holding the trigger to full on. I think for the OP try a WW Caltex as their pumps seem to be more sensitive to back-flow.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
My VF is temperamental.

Some days I'll fill up my car and it'll click even when it's nowhere near full, some days I'll fill it up and it's fine. The days that it clicks constantly, I'll always give up. I go and pay for that pump and then reverse back/drive forward to the next pump. It'll always work fine the second time I try it, no matter which pump I'm at.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Yeh same. Would not stop clicking when I first bought the car. I find that having the nozzle 2/3 in works fine & now my pull out game is strong.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think that pumps may have become faster, imagine all those stupidly thirsty 4WD’s filling at the same rate as our thrifty-by-comparison V8 Commodores. But I need to be careful with everything I fill these days & have the nozzle about 20% of the way out ... my 70’s Volvo has exactly the same filler-neck as the ‘87 one I used to regularly drive circa ‘91-‘92 and don’t remember it needing finessing back then.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think that pumps may have become faster, imagine all those stupidly thirsty 4WD’s filling at the same rate as our thrifty-by-comparison V8 Commodores. But I need to be careful with everything I fill these days & have the nozzle about 20% of the way out ... my 70’s Volvo has exactly the same filler-neck as the ‘87 one I used to regularly drive circa ‘91-‘92 and don’t remember it needing finessing back then.

Years ago the pumps were pumping 50 litres per minute at the non self service stations. Nowadays they pump a lot less but sometime you find a pump that pumps really fast. Diesel seems to flow quick maybe thats why they have high flow pumps.