Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 VF2 SSVR ute rear speakers

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I did my '16 SV6 work ute too, a great mod for $80 and 1 hour 40 minutes work, a really easy job to add ute rear speakers!
The speakers I used are Rockford Fosgate R1675X2, 6.75" 45 watt 2 way, like a quality OEM replacement speaker. I'm not into sound systems at all but a mate of mine was and he told me never to use expensive high output speakers on a stock radio without an amp, as they sound worse than cheap lower output speakers. It's the reason I didn't try to fit top end killer speakers on the stock system.

Here's where they go in the B pillar panel behind the seats and measure down 120mm from the bottom of the courtesy lamp in the centre of the panel and drill 1/4" pilot hole.
20211015_142304.jpg

We get 5.5" hole saw in the drill and cut a hole in the panel. It's carpet and plastic and cuts through like butter.
20211015_190113.jpg

I removed the RH kick panel and sill panel to access the body harness plug behind where the rear speaker wires are on the dash harness side of the plug. The speaker (+) wire is white and the (-) wire is blue with a black trace and we cut them at the plug.
20211015_181159.jpg

Solder the speaker wire on (supplied) and feed it along with the body harness and behind the lower B pillar trim and out of the speaker hole. Then we refit the kick panel and sill panel. Then we screw the speaker in and the plastic is quite thick and the screws tighten up nicely.
20211015_194203.jpg

The LHS is done the same way except the speaker (+) wire is green and the (-) wire is green with a black trace. The speaker wires are a heavier gauge (thicker) than the other wires and are easy to find in the plug.
20211015_195411.jpg

For such a simple and cheap job, the sound improvement is "amazing" seriously chalk and cheese with rear speakers and after doing my SSVR ute, I couldn't not do the work ute. It's what Holden the "cheap skates" should have done in the first place!

If anyone wants to add rear speakers to their ute and gets stuck with the wiring or anything, let me know and I'll explain it in greater detail.

Last edited: