Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 block preping. Building a motor.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
202's are a good, reliable engine. Yes they leak oil like any rope seal rear main engine, but if they are built properly they are a very reliable engine. The old man rebuilt one for the old HK Holden. Didn't spend a fortune, just did it right. That engine powered a fully loaded HK with roof racks and box trailer from Brisbane to Cairns and back and Brisbane to Melbourne and back without one issue. It continued running without a problem for over 100,000 miles until cancer took over the bodyshell of the HK. Reason why you hear of people having problems with any of the older engines, is because they are such a simple engine, anyone will have a go at rebuilding them, so unfortunately there are are a lot of dodgy 202's around.

don't go over the top with o'ringing bores etc unless you plan on super high compression and/or forced induction. As suggested a chemical clean,rebore, cam bearings and get the rotating assembly (ie crank, rods, pistons, flywheel & balancer) balanced. It's worth the extra money spent. However be prepared to go beyond your $400 budget to do so. But IMO it's better off spending the money on the bottom end, you can always do stuff like porting the head, roller rockers etc later. Doesn't take long to pull the head off a 202.

With a set of flat top pistons, a decent carb (I'd suggest a rejetted Webber off a Falcon), the RIGHT camshaft & valve springs (the likes of Crow or Crane can suggest a suitable cam profile & valve springs to suit your setup and requirements), your 202 should get along rather well. Everyone seems to bag the 202 these days, but seem to forget these engines powered Brocky's Toranas to more than one victory at Bathurst, against the big 351 GTHO Falcons.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, but that was 40yrs ago mate.
And the Torana weighed about 300kg less then a VH/VK.

(LJ turned in at about 1000kg)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Yeah, but that was 40yrs ago mate.
And the Torana weighed about 300kg less then a VH/VK.

(LJ turned in at about 1000kg)

the single stromberg powered 202 powered pre-historic HQ series class cars could lap a racetrack quicker than most V6 Commodores on this forum. And they aren't a heavily modified engine either. I realise the 202 isn't a strong contender for modern day engines, but people seem so quick to dismiss them as a boat anchor, when you can actually spend a bit of money on them (not necessarily a fortune) and still have a car that's going to be able to hold it's own against a lot of the later model V6 Commodores. Might even give some of the old carbed V8's a run for their money. A fairly cost effective combo for a P plater who is willing to do a lot of the work himself.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah in that vein, I totally understand what you're getting at. I had a quiet a punchy little 202 in VH commo years ago. They go just as hard as a Buick and dont rattle your teeth out to boot.

Frankly I'd rebuild a 202 before I rebuilt a buick.
That said, in reality I wouldn't bother with either.

At the end of the day, if you're comparing a 202 with a buick (even the ecotec), you'll be hard pressed to split them. Only fanboys will be able to. Speaking purely from a performance aspect.
At least the 202 doesn't sound like a retard being dragged behind a car.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Yeah in that vein, I totally understand what you're getting at. I had a quiet a punchy little 202 in VH commo years ago. They go just as hard as a Buick and dont rattle your teeth out to boot.

Frankly I'd rebuild a 202 before I rebuilt a buick.
That said, in reality I wouldn't bother with either.

At the end of the day, if you're comparing a 202 with a buick (even the ecotec), you'll be hard pressed to split them. Only fanboys will be able to. Speaking purely from a performance aspect.
At least the 202 doesn't sound like a retard being dragged behind a car.

it's horses for courses. I love V8's and I wouldn't have anything else under the bonnet of my VH. But not everyone is in a situation where they can own a V8 (like in this case), and in some cases people simply want to take another path.

I hear the same thing at these forums when people ask for suggestions on powerups on a Holden V8. Standard reply is don't waste your time on a 304, put a LS1 in it...... It bugs the hell out of me. Yes it's cheaper and easier to make power out of a LS1, but not everybody wants a LS1. Some people (like me) love their Holden V8 and wouldn't substitute it for any other engine. If it was all about the best bang for your $$, then we'd all have 1000hp 2jz's under our bonnets.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally agree.
LS1 is epic.
But if your car already has a 304, then use it. Just accept the fact you're not going to make the same power as an LS1.

If your cars got a buick, drive it into the ground and buy a decent car :p

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah thats true.
Its not worth trying to match the LS1 though. Mods the 5ltr and be happy with what it does. At the end of the day, the LS1 will never sound as good as a healthy 5ltr or holden 5.8ltr

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
so P platers can drive mod plated cars now?

Too a degree.

In QLD, as far as I know (last time I checked was when I just got my P's) A p Plater can modify thier car however they want as long as it doesn't break the 200kw barried. P Platers can't add a super/turbocharger or drop in a V8.

Basically all the other standard rules apply, like getting a mod plate for a roll cage etc