Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

247kw? expected or what??

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Standard 6.0 VE would be about 180-195rwkw, so, as Reaper said, not a bad result.
Its interesting that an LS2 auto in a VE HSV will pull about 220rwkw stock, but a VZ HSV with LS2 auto will pull around 235-240rwkw stock.

Nah mate, about 10% off there. Maybe eight years ago, standard Series II is 220rwkW, L98 about same.

my absolutely bog standard SSV SII manual wagon made 209rwkw on the dyno at our car club dyno day last year... on normal ULP with normal tyre pressures in 4th
and on a dyno that had just been adjusted, serviced and 'corrected'. Car had done just under 30,000kms at the time....

Last edited:

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
@ Shauno 81

Do you have headers/hi flow cats as well or just catback/cai ?

About 800-1000 roughly..imo probably not worth a "re-tune" without more mods unless you feel its worth it with the way its running? or you want a more "aggressive" tune as mentioned...others will have input but not sure id part with the dough unless unhappy with the feel/performance of the car.Should be a few options in Newcastle,including a walkinshaw fitter/tuner(might be a conservative tuner but can only talk to them and ask what they think re ramping it up if that's what you want etc).

You will get different opinions about the figure your calais achieved at the time that's one thing ive noticed.Up to you ultimately of course.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Hey fellas you guys seem to know a bit about these tunes.. Mine was done about 14mths ago by previous owner.. I posted dyno sheet few days ago. Can someone tell me how much these are roughly? I've heard about $900ish. Do they differ much in price? I'm from Newcastle. Thanx in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughly yeah $800-1000 depending where you go. By the time they pay for credits and what not you won't find anywhere under $600ish.

Shauno-81

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L VE Calais-V.
Thanx for the info fellas.. It has headers/catback and cai. I think it might need a tune not quite sure. Lately it just feels a little sluggish.. It's great off the mark but when your cruising and hit a hill or slowly accelerate it seems to be missing something. It's only minimal but wasn't there before. Might just need new plugs leads possibly. As you may of noticed I'm no mechanic but am learning slowly. By retune do you mean the full dyno again?

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Retune won't need dyno, particularly to tweak your issue. Even with a full tune most of the work is done in the car, not on the rollers.
If I were you I'd just try eight new bougies, is easy and cheap:
ba2uza2y.jpg

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
surprised how cheap they are!. are they better than oem for a tuned n/a motor too? there must be a catch how long do they last ?

It's about the copper, our car loves them! I've found the benefits are quality spark and temps below 870ºC thus preventing unwanted detonations.
Copper works better in terms of starting and wanting to rev. to buggeree too. Only drawback is the tip doesn't last like Iridium (which are 10x the price). Depends on the car and driving, will last two services but at less than a third of the oil and filter, doesn't hurt to do each service.
NGK TR55 = stock heat range (for bone stock cars)
NGK TR6's = one step colder. (good for headers all the way through mild boost and nitrous aplications)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Interesting all this talk of exhaust and peak HP. If all you want is a good power figure (and it sounds like most of you want big numbers on a piece of paper) then get rid of the exhaust all together. Run it straight out of the headers and you will pick up extra numbers, the exhaust is the restriction when looking for a power figure.

Torque and drivability are a separate issue. Then Pipemax comes into it's own, but if all you want is a piece of paper to back up an argument in the pub, unbolt the cats off the back of the headers and give it another run.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
It's about the copper, our car loves them! I've found the benefits are quality spark and temps below 870ºC thus preventing unwanted detonations.
Copper works better in terms of starting and wanting to rev. to buggeree too. Only drawback is the tip doesn't last like Iridium (which are 10x the price). Depends on the car and driving, will last two services but at less than a third of the oil and filter, doesn't hurt to do each service.
NGK TR55 = stock heat range (for bone stock cars)
NGK TR6's = one step colder. (good for headers all the way through mild boost and nitrous aplications)

Yes , as usual Pir4te, very useful ,thanx captain !
now i got more tings ta by

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ive been useing the tr6 plugs since going blown, good plug and cheap, change them every 12 months regardless cos there so cheap, also some of the fancy plugs u can't gap but no problems with them..