Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.0 litre V6 for the Commodore

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
But Holden is australian and it would be the same technology we are currently seeing? And as you stated it's a petrol engine not a diesel so it's not exactly in the same league .

ok then, explain to me how the charging system on a ve works, i bet you cant, i guarantee you the technology is in the ve, everyone just doubts it because they just think its a bogan mobile

The DI 3.6L will make its way into the higher class V6's, like the SV6 and Calais(-V), but I don't think we'll see the DI 3.6L in the base Omega and Berlina models because there is only a 3% saving in fuel efficiency when compared to the high output alloytec...

So the DI version would only match the current fuel economy of the base Omega and Berlina (about 10.6L per 100km, maybe 10.5). They'll want to get the VE under 10L per 100km which is where its competitors are (Falcon and Aurion) as that 9.9L figure can be a big sell point. So to me, it makes sense Holden would go that route. It just doesn't make sense from the torque/drivability point of view.

umm no, the di (LLT) version does more than 3% better economy, it depends on how its tuned, in australia they will make it say 200kw its an increase in power over the previous LE0 (port injected) version but having it detuned they will gain more economy out of it, the LLT can and is tuned in some cars and are around Low 9's Per 100km

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I don't see a problem with the 3.0L as long as it provides equal/more power and torque as the 3.6L. It also should be built in Australia. If not, I wouldn't be impressed.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
From what I have heard and read, the Zeta platform has had quite a bit of weight saving applied to it so VF or whatever the next major update is could very well be lighter than the porky VE.
I also have a feeling the commodore will no be getting the 3.6 DI motor either.
I dont like the idea but if holden have a motor which can produce 225 Kw and provide good fuel economy, why not just make a lower power version at say 195- 205 and then have a sports version at the full 225 ??
The comaro which uses the DI v6 avg is around about 10.2 L/100Km and thats calculated at 50% city 50% highway and its actually HEAVIER than an SV6.
So it stands to reason that they would not bother with a 3L motor when they could get it out of the 3.6 with a bit of development.
The only reason I could see to take the 3L route is that there would be little development required to slot it in and easier and cheaper than to engineer the 3.6 DI for fuel economy.
I have heard it is possible they will just keep the 3.6 without DI as is for the higher end model.
I hope Im wrong but too many things don't add up.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
umm no, the di (LLT) version does more than 3% better economy, it depends on how its tuned, in australia they will make it say 200kw its an increase in power over the previous LE0 (port injected) version but having it detuned they will gain more economy out of it, the LLT can and is tuned in some cars and are around Low 9's Per 100km

Ok I will re-state it. GM claims 3% better fuel economy on the LLT than the LY7 and when they replaced the LY7 with the LLT in the Cadillacs, it made a 3% improvement in fuel economy.

Yes it can be detuned to return better economy but nobody knows what it could be detuned to, or how much impact that will have on the fuel consumption. You may as well stick to the facts, the numbers we already know.

67rce

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU XR8
I can see a major problem with the 3.0L V6 Commodore.

1. The car will be too heavy for a low torque motor, forcing it to be revved harder, and as such, increasing fuel comsumption.

2. The Omega and any other model which is fitted with the 3.0 V6 will effectively hand private sales to Ford for anyone who wished to tow, but cannot afford the extra $$$ to get the 3.6

3. StarFire anyone??

hsvtj

now cruising..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, VS Statesman 5.0
as far as i'd heard the smaller v6 would be an option..

and although most of us dont like the idea of the smaller engine with less torque, theres a lot of people out there who will buy brand new commodores who dont care about torque levels, as long as its cheap to run