Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300KW V6 Heading to Aus???

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Hell yeah. Would be a nice crate motor for a fun project! Hopefully it does make its way into the VF II.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not a turbo fan, more moving parts equals less reliability, V8 all the way and when you can't get them might as well buy a Charade.

Does living in the 80's suck? Turbos have come a long way.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Does living in the 80's suck? Turbos have come a long way.

No they haven't, still expensive to repair and common sense says more moving parts equals less reliability. Why turbo something to get the performance of a V8 when you can just buy a V8? Not only that but engine life is reduced as a turbo works and revs harder to achieve the same power output.
As for resale value you would be mad to buy a turbo car with 100,000k on the clock but a V8 has just been run in at that.

As he says welcome to reality.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
No they haven't, still expensive to repair and common sense says more moving parts equals less reliability. Why turbo something to get the performance of a V8 when you can just buy a V8? Not only that but engine life is reduced as a turbo works and revs harder to achieve the same power output.
As for resale value you would be mad to buy a turbo car with 100,000k on the clock but a V8 has just been run in at that.

Oh dear, poor misguided sole:s

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Welcome to 2013 where turbos are common practice in modern day cars for both performance and efficiency. I'd take a V8 over a turbo any day but you can't dismiss their advantages just because you don't like them. So I guess if you were offered a Bugatti Veyron, you'd say nah its ok I've got my charade?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Err righto champ. A turbo car actually doesn't have to rev out to make power... Why do you think most manufacturers are shifting from 8's to 6 cylinder twin turbo etc.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My blower added a whole two extra moving parts, four if you count the BOV's. A turbo isn't much different, reliability comes down to the driver. Manufacturer produced turbo setups have more than proven themselves, and whilst I agree the risk is higher, that risk is rarely realised. Sorry mate but I think your opinion is wedged about a decade in the past at least.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Why does somebody always have to compare a V6 to a V8??? It's seriously getting old.

Why turbo something to get the performance of a V8 when you can just buy a V8?
Then why would you want to buy a supercharged V8 when you can buy a V10?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Why does somebody always have to compare a V6 to a V8??? It's seriously getting old.

Then why would you want to buy a supercharged V8 when you can buy a V10?

Don't know of any large 4 door v10 sedans for anything close to the price of a blown 8.