Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300rwkw n/a ls1 with cam only + bolt ons + auto... possible & streetable?

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
haha well i have actually been in a charged and cammed vx ss ls1. That was an experiance, around 375rwkw. Frying 20's in top gear is no hassle haha

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Be very carefull with NOS.
You need the right selection of cam to use it properly.
Also very good valve springs and if your valve guides are worn i would suggest fitting new ones and get the valve seats recut.
Cause if you put NOS on an engine with a bad set of heads and the wrong cam you can just about be sure your intake manifold is going to end up going thru your bonnet.
Valve float and NOS = serious damage, just be carefull and do your homework.

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
thanks 4 the heads up GenReaper

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
haha well i have actually been in a charged and cammed vx ss ls1. That was an experiance, around 375rwkw. Frying 20's in top gear is no hassle haha

Oh to have a go at that car. The most powerful car I've ever been in is mine, 145rwkw V6 FTW!!! LOL

Though I do have a customer at work who offered to let me have a quick go at his $350,000 Maserati. Needless to say I turned it down, 1. I couldn't afford the excess, 2. I would be tempted to floor it, 3. My car would never feel the same again.

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
haha the maserati could inspire you. We could have the worlds first masadore or commarati on our hands. A maserati engine in a commodore haha now thats a combo and a half.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Thanks for all the advice guys. To LOWFLYER thats a big difference between the auto and manual i would of thought 20-30kws max thanks for clearing that up. In regards too running a big cam do you need to also upgade fuel system at the same time? I have also thought about a nitrous system which i will probably look into after i get cammed or whatever route i decide too take.

the reason there is such a big difference is probably what i was told that dyno's and auto's with stally's apparently don't get along too well, a guy at work's mates gen3 is an auto with a stally and he put a big n/a cam in with head work, manifold, exhaust,etc apparently it made 290 rwkw at 4,000-4,500 rpm on a dyno and they couldn't get any more as it would keep spinning it up on the dyno, tunner told him its cause the stally, i think he has a 3,000rpm stally.

where as at the track the car reacts and pulls times the same/similar as cars with a lot more rwkw's in manuals.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
the reason there is such a big difference is probably what i was told that dyno's and auto's with stally's apparently don't get along too well, a guy at work's mates gen3 is an auto with a stally and he put a big n/a cam in with head work, manifold, exhaust,etc apparently it made 290 rwkw at 4,000-4,500 rpm on a dyno and they couldn't get any more as it would keep spinning it up on the dyno, tunner told him its cause the stally, i think he has a 3,000rpm stally.

where as at the track the car reacts and pulls times the same/similar as cars with a lot more rwkw's in manuals.

Yep, very true. The stally robs quite a few ponies on the dyno (maybe 10-15rwkw in certain applications I've seen). Once out on the street or strip though, it comes into its own.

To the OP, 300rwkw with all the usual bolt-ons and a bit of head work is easily achievable and can still be very streetable. It comes down to cam choice and how it's tuned.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Im very suprised how much power you guys are getting... Im running a stroked LS1 (383/6.3L) with heads, very large came, all the usual bolt ons and a decent tune, and its "only" making 276rwkw. (Although it was on a mainline dyno, made 715nm (650+nm from 2500rpm to about 5500rpm) and actually made top power on the rev limiter at 6000rpm).

Evem still, dynos are a tuning tool, nothing more. I have video footage of my VX running down a VE which was making 320rwkw on the front straight at sandown. Its also about reliability and drive-ability.