Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 budget rebuild - guaranteed to make you cringe

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Realistically, I think it'll produce around 180-190rwkw tuned correctly and shouldn't need to rev the hell out of it either. Keeping in mind this is my daily so it needs to be reliable and easy to live with in heavy traffic.

I'll be fitting the starr to the car with existing engine shortly. I've never tuned before (apart from lpg injection), so don't want to be trying to learn on a fresh bottom end. This way I'll be able to get it set up for the 90mm throttlebody (sort shift points, fuelling, ls2 MAF etc) prior to putting the 'rebuilt' engine in.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sandman linked me to a TP dual plane yesterday, and I'm going to pick it up tonight. That's not for this engine though - that'll be going in the ute. It's had injector holes drilled, and I'm interested in having a crack at 4bbl injection too but that's going to have to wait till this engine's sorted.

I've also come across another decent roller cam for $400 which has only done dyno time. This one's 222/[email protected], .506" valve lift on 112 centres from clive cams. May be a little more suitable with the higher compression - and may need to use the hi-stall for this one!

As a side note, I've received my NVRAM I purchased on pcmhacking (thanks biggvl!) and plan to fit the starr manifold to my current engine to try to get the tune sorted for that engine with the larger 90mm throttlebody, particularly in terms of shift points. Been doing heaps of research on that, but there's not a huge amount of info on tuning the maf based systems. I think I'm starting to get my head around it though.

So many options now...

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
rGWj84R.jpg

gE6rjiU.jpg

Picked it up tonight. The bloke who owned it snapped a bolt off where the fuel rails bolt on which is part of the reason I scored it for $350. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Prefer single plane byt for $350 with injector bosses done can't go wrong.

Trying out bolt-on elbow with std throttle body or going 4bbbl style?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Trying out bolt-on elbow with std throttle body or going 4bbbl style?
If all goes ahead it’ll be 4bbl style. Too many projects on the go currently haha.

Are you going to knotch that centre divider down a little??

I wasn’t planning on it, not sure whether it’s as much of an issue since it’d be port injection? Could always add an open spacer to open the plenum a bit and see what happens. Adding a 1” spacer on my current engine made a huge difference, so obviously it needed it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Too many projects? We both got issues man!

Just added another vs 5 litre to the collection...

Curious which 4bbl throttle bodies work without tps or other issues?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Too many projects? We both got issues man!

Just added another vs 5 litre to the collection...

Curious which 4bbl throttle bodies work without tps or other issues?
You and me both... don’t ask me how many vs’ I have lol

Thinking I’ll probably just try one of the 1200cfm procomp ones. I know people will hate me saying that but I’m willing to take the chance with one.

They have provisions for tps and iac. Pretty sure the stock units will work with this throttle body.

Had the exact same manifold. Ran one of these bad boys.

https://www.enginemaster.com.au/edelbrock-4-barrel-throttle-body-mpi-1000cfm-ed387

Check out the clubby thread if you need any ideas on mounting etc.

Cheers man. I read through half of that thread last week. Also been through @immortality ‘s thread on pcmhacking I came across while I was searching for info, but still looks like the 4bbl conversion hasn’t been completed yet?