Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 mods

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
A cam change with the stock manifold is still worth it, but needs supporting mods! The long runners of the banana manifold help to make up for low compression in terms of low-down torque. With a cam change (anything much bigger than a 276), the low compression will mean it'll be a slug down low, and the manifold means that it won't like to rev very freely over 5k rpm. I have a crane 268 in mine and it's great for a daily but harrop's right - for the money it's probably not worth the expense unless you're willing to change the manifold, valve springs, up the compression etc etc.

See here for diagnostic info:
http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl160/vn_aldl.htm
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-your-computer-for-faults-vn-vp.3937/

Over 5krpm.... My car with my foot flat changes at about 4800 or less. The Memcal i got was from Joe @ Ace. Would he have changed the rev limit or is 4800rpm normal?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
If it's changchanging that early the kickdown cable is to loose .take the front engine cover off the throttle body and adjust the kickdown so it's pulled tight with the throttle fully open.will feel like a different car with some rpm before shifting to the next gear

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Joe does decent tune so that should be ok.

First I'd do compression test to know engine is good then put in fault mode to see if all ok.

Then 3.55 gears & re-tightened lsd,shift kit modify airbox for more air or even splurge on mace airbox...much prefer twin cat exhausts tbh.

After that if it it still feels lacking new timing chain kit & coil...next mod after the above iis 2800-3200 stall convertor.

All that will make lighter vk feel faster than it actually is.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
Yeah should rev to 5500 or so before shifting under WOT. Are you sure your tacho's accurate?
How can I tell? Its Idle appears to be normal around the 800rpm.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
Joe does decent tune so that should be ok.

First I'd do compression test to know engine is good then put in fault mode to see if all ok.

Then 3.55 gears & re-tightened lsd,shift kit modify airbox for more air or even splurge on mace airbox...much prefer twin cat exhausts tbh.

After that if it it still feels lacking new timing chain kit & coil...next mod after the above iis 2800-3200 stall convertor.

All that will make lighter vk feel faster than it actually is.

Diff gears are hard to find for the diff I have.
Why do you prefer twin cats?
Going by my airbox as pictured above would a pod filter perform better?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Did you check the kickdown adjustment yet

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
2F7C80E3-5654-4BB0-ADFF-0B93F6146AC6.jpeg
Did you check the kickdown adjustment yet

This is what I have. Accelerator cable looks to be at its max but throttle is not fully open. Any way I can resolve this or do I need a new cable?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Twin cats not only sound better but less restrictive & get a little more torque down low in rev range where you need it..add a balance pipe to twin cat set up they sound even better & sometimes touch more grunt when done correctly.

Finding 3.55 gears got to be cheaper than buying & building vl/vk borgwarner diff with 3.45-3.9 gears lsd & 28 spline axles!!!

Try jase at gearexchange or av8 forum.

Mace air box is enclosed pod filter setup that doesn't suck hot air & these things like cooler air with much larger airbox.

That accelerator cable is either too short(6cy?) or it snapped at the plastic thread when nut was over-tightened....also might want to check not only does it get full throttle when pedal is all way down but also throttle opens whole way too.

From memory these have 5400 rpm rev limiter & you push button on kickdown cable then pull cable so it then adjusts itself (search on here or google to adjust it)

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
Twin cats not only sound better but less restrictive & get a little more torque down low in rev range where you need it..add a balance pipe to twin cat set up they sound even better & sometimes touch more grunt when done correctly.

Finding 3.55 gears got to be cheaper than buying & building vl/vk borgwarner diff with 3.45-3.9 gears lsd & 28 spline axles!!!

Try jase at gearexchange or av8 forum.

Mace air box is enclosed pod filter setup that doesn't suck hot air & these things like cooler air with much larger airbox.

That accelerator cable is either too short(6cy?) or it snapped at the plastic thread when nut was over-tightened....also might want to check not only does it get full throttle when pedal is all way down but also throttle opens whole way too.

From memory these have 5400 rpm rev limiter & you push button on kickdown cable then pull cable so it then adjusts itself (search on here or google to adjust it)

I have mucked around with it and it almost gets full throttle now and if i adjust it any more the throttle stays on a little at idle. Can i adjust the pedal at all? There isn't anything under the pedal which is blocking it.

Regarding the kick down I have reset it back all the way in and when i press the accelerator it clicks a few times. Is that all thats needed? If i open the throttle myself with my hand it clicks once more. I have not driven it yet to test so will have to see how it is.