Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 back yard build

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
Bit of a background story on me, im 19. i own a VT s-pack and a VK that i was given off an old lady up the road as she didn't drive it anymore.

i just purchased at 308 V8 out of a VK off my girlfriends mum, also came with a turbo 350 or 400 auto ( they don't know which it is, will mention later ) also came with a diff/axle and disc brake. all that for $600

now the VK i have at the moment has the 202 black motor in it ( fuel injected ) all thats getting ripped out and i want to drop the 308 in the VK. first question is, how much change will be needed to be made to the engine mounts ? are there kits available ?

also i've got myself here a little shopping list of things i want -

6-71 Supercharger kit -$6900.00

VN alloy heads - $850.00

4 bolt main stud kit - $75.00

355ci stroker kit - $999.00

full gasket kit - $96.00

now i need a cam, harmonic balancer and i dunno if i wanna go carb or injected so i was wondering if you guys could help me decide .. and also help me through the build :D

doing up a serious street VK has been a long time dream and i want to do ALOT of the work myself so all help is greatly appreicated

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Firstly, the engine will bolt straight in with the mounts already on it, no mods required.

Secondly, if you're going blown, forget the Holden V8 and just go for a Chev. Parts are a hell of a lot cheaper to make a Chev strong enough for a blown application and you can also buy a 4 bolt block off the shelf. The only problem is Chevs aren't a perfect fit in a Commodore, but it can be done.

As for your shopping list, for the prices i'm tipping all that stuff is Procomp (apart from the blower kit). Steer clear of that stuff, especially in a blown application, it won't last past its first start up.

Finally, don't expect any change out of $15,000 (it will probably be closer to $20,000, but that is minimum) to build a good, solid, reliable blown motor.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
really money is not a issue here, i just want a "simple' build ... the motor bolts in no problem, thats simple :)

all the prices where on ebay and yea the stroker kit was procomp, i didn't think they where too bad to be honest ?

just curious to convert the 308 to a 4 bolt main, what does that involve, is it as simple as drilling a new hole and tapping a thread ?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
really money is not a issue here, i just want a "simple' build ... the motor bolts in no problem, thats simple :)

all the prices where on ebay and yea the stroker kit was procomp, i didn't think they where too bad to be honest ?

just curious to convert the 308 to a 4 bolt main, what does that involve, is it as simple as drilling a new hole and tapping a thread ?

Unfortunately, once the motor is bolted in, that where the simple & cheap stuff stops.

Procomp stuff is crap, don't even entertain the thought of trying to build a blown engine with that **** in the bottom end. Blown motors need to be strong, they don't need overly big cams or massively ported heads, but they need a strong bottom end and a good valve train to live.

Converting a 308 to 4 bolt mains is a bit more involved than that, it needs to be done by a pro. Needs block machined so the caps fit in, the extra holes drilled & tapped, then line bored & honed. Not a simple or cheap operation.

You've got a lot of homework to do mate.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately, once the motor is bolted in, that where the simple & cheap stuff stops.

hahaha oh wells works for me

lucky i got a mate in a machining shop :D but seriously how expensive can it be ? by the time you waigh up buying a create motor and then stripping it down and stroking it ? i just got a feeling you can't go wrong with a 308 for $600 from your girlfriends mum ( she was the only one that drove the VK with that motor in it )

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, price list time:

Blower kit: best part of $7000

Carbies: $1000 each for boost referenced D/P Holleys (carbs can be had cheap, but they work right off the shelf, although you probably won't need Double pmupers)

4 bolt conversion: Best parts of $1000 (good main caps included, not procomp stuff)

Decent stroker kit: anywhere between $2000-$5000 (you will need forged pistons as a minimum. Probably want H beam rods and a steel crank if you want it to live, there is the $5000 end of the scale)

Other block machine work: Best part of $1000 (bore, hone, crack test etc.)

Cam & valve train: Well, this all depends on what you want. But you'd spend probably another $1000 there (probably more)

Will need a good ignition system with a blown motor.

Then there is all the little stuff, gaskets, head & main studs, good balancer etc. etc. etc.

Say, $20,000 for the engine, probably another $2000-$3000 to build a good Turbo 400 to handle it, $1000 torque converter, another $3000 to build a decent 9" diff. By the time you set up a good fuel system, exhaust etc. it will cost you north of $30,000. But, you'd have a killer driveline....:p

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, price list time:

Blower kit: best part of $7000

Carbies: $1000 each for boost referenced D/P Holleys (carbs can be had cheap, but they work right off the shelf, although you probably won't need Double pmupers)

4 bolt conversion: Best parts of $1000 (good main caps included, not procomp stuff)

Decent stroker kit: anywhere between $2000-$5000 (you will need forged pistons as a minimum. Probably want H beam rods and a steel crank if you want it to live, there is the $5000 end of the scale)

Other block machine work: Best part of $1000 (bore, hone, crack test etc.)

Cam & valve train: Well, this all depends on what you want. But you'd spend probably another $1000 there (probably more)

Will need a good ignition system with a blown motor.

Then there is all the little stuff, gaskets, head & main studs, good balancer etc. etc. etc.

Say, $20,000 for the engine, probably another $2000-$3000 to build a good Turbo 400 to handle it, $1000 torque converter, another $3000 to build a decent 9" diff. By the time you set up a good fuel system, exhaust etc. it will cost you north of $30,000. But, you'd have a killer driveline....:p

i'd have a killer VK full stop !

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, that you would. But, don't think for a second that it will be cheap and easy, that's what i'm getting at.

Sure, you could build a blown motor cheap, but it won't last. I guess you need to ask yourself a question, do you want it strong and reliable or do you want it back in the shed broken every 5 minutes?

If you want it to live, you will need to spend the money.