Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 Supercharger intake ideas

Richo460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS, VK GRP3 replica
Hi Fellas
Long time reader so i thought i would get in on the action.
I am building a VK group 3 replica, and i have a 355 stroker build to boost to go in it. I am running a vortech V1-T trim with a front mount intercooler.
What i am stuck with is intake design. There are lots of threads about intakes for naturally aspirated engines and most of these say that the banna manny is not good.
What happens when its boosted? Is it still no good?
I was thinking about cutting the front off the bananna manifold and welding on a larger elbow to suit 90mm TB that faces the left hand side on the car where the intercooler piping comes up.
Thinking about air flow i wonder if this makes any difference as all the piping from the supercharger and intercooler is all 3".
I have also thought about buying a carby style manifold and putting the elbow adapter on that and running an LS1 TB.
When boosting what are the critical design aspects i should be looking at?
I am sure there are many of you who have experience with this.
Cheers
Richo

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Firstly a v1 has a 2 3/4 inch out let so you should stick to that size for all pipe work and cooler Intake and discharge as air in pipes flows nicely up till around 0.3 Mach with is 1/3 the speed of sound

Vortech know this and is the reason the v1, v2 and v3 blowers all have 2 3/4 discharge

Bigger piping means more area to fill, later time the boost comes and no gains

When using the v7 blower then 3 inch piping is necessary as it has 3 inch discharge

It's not the neck of manifold that's **** it's the runner design, you could put a 200mm throttle body on and you still will not see gains but as it helps your piping work design then yes changing may see your personal beniforts but a better manifold all together is much better

A 90mm LS throttle body is a bad idea, that's means you have 3 inch pipe Into a nearly 4 inch throttle body and back down to the manifold neck

That creates turbulence and air speeds rapidly slow down then increase again

Keep throttle body as close to pipe size as possible

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Why not a come manifold? Very popular with forced induction

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Why not a come manifold? Very popular with forced induction

I was under the impression that the COME twin throttle manifold had distribution issues and leaned out the rear cyl's and richened the front 2.

Would Trickflow 'groupA replica' work good? is it possible to turn the top hat around for driver side entry?

Otherwise a harrop 'carb style' manifold with 1000cfm t/b on top and 90deg hat would be your ticket.