Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 VN Group A Replica

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
You got vids put them up.

Also been heaps of other gearbox in outs since that one but i CBF updating :)

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Oh shhhhhh..

Dan had a good idea tonight.. Maybe the rope seal dried up between fitting and running, and some how has damaged and oil is getting past??...

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Orite pretty much stuffed rear cap bearing caused the fail in the seal. So im thinking new bearings and seal. But what caused it I do not know, **** crank or **** workmanship.

Being a Procrap crank, i'd bet the crank is the problem....

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Orite, first off todays workings. The plan, find the probelm, fine the cause fix both.

So here I am taking this apart again,
06082011919.jpg

Now this is what it looked like,
06082011923.jpg

Cap and bearing,
06082011934.jpg

06082011936.jpg

Then procceded to take the crank out and have a look at all the bearings, all slightly more worn then they should be but nothing you would normaly replace.
06082011930.jpg

06082011933.jpg

06082011931.jpg

06082011932.jpg

Orite, so new ACL bearings will have to be ordered to replace all main bearings, the conrods were ok. Also get a new front and rear seal, rear cause its been screwed by metal shavings and the front cause its been painted and I dont trust it.

Now as for why this happened. I was affraid I wouldnt find out, in that case I wouldnt of liked putting the engine back together not having known I fixed what had caused it in the first place. Now not to sound like the guy from that show seconds from disaster, but! A series of events that together made the bearing fail leaving us seconds from disaster!

Those who know about it, the flywheel. Originaly didnt fit, pain in the ass. Diagnosis, **** crank that had a dodgy flange. Next, the gearbox. The input shaft was pushing had up against the crank, my fix was spacing it out from the block by 2mm first then down to 1mm. But this had allready been in the car and started without the spacing. This is what would of done this,

06082011921.jpg

Look at the clearance on either side of the bearing. The crank had been pushed foward by the input shaft of the gearbox when it was first installed... So this is caused by, you guessed it, a **** crank! Ill have to take the crank to get the center of it machined out slightly so the input shaft gears wont push on it and I wont have to use the spacers.

Will it be ready for track day? Lets hope somones got some ACL bearing in stock.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
That's a shitload of end float....Honestly, i'd take that crank and throw it in the nearest bin. Buy yourself a decent crank, you'll never look back. Do you know if it's running Holden or Chev rods?

That crank is going to give you no end of grief IMO. It's just not worth putting it back in.

However, if you do decide to put that crank back in, you're going to have to something about the end float issue. Also, check the bearing clearances, i've got a feeling that back bearing is too tight.