Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L no oil up top

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
If that was the case blocked ports on the crank would increase the pressure, lack of pressure is because the bearings and journals have to much clearance that means engine wear. I say the only way to know whats going on is a engine pull down.
I put HPR30 in it and it knocked immediately and had zero pressure. thicker oil should have brought pressure up if bearings was the issue right?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe the pressure valve is fully open and not working if the pump is working.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I tried a thicker oil and the motor started knocking immediately. I would have thought a thicker oil would bring pressure up if it was worn bearings. there was no pressure at all obviously

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Maybe the pressure valve is fully open and not working if the pump is working.
yeh its a new pump but will try another tomorrow. I reckon I'll end up pulling sump though. Should i try overfill sump so that in case its sucking air at pickup to block gasket or tube is cracked etc then it will suck oil rather than air?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I put HPR30 in it and it knocked immediately and had zero pressure. thicker oil should have brought pressure up if bearings was the issue right?
In theory yes, but running it with thicker oil also starves the engine of lubrication as its reducers the flow rate, you only want to use it in worn out engines.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeh its a new pump but will try another tomorrow. I reckon I'll end up pulling sump though. Should i try overfill sump so that in case its sucking air at pickup to block gasket or tube is cracked etc then it will suck oil rather than air?
Overfilling the sump will only damage the engine, your choice I'm not going to say do it, might be OK for a sort time. good luck.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Overfilling the sump will only damage the engine, your choice I'm not going to say do it, might be OK for a sort time. good luck.
yeh same mechanic had one in his shop last week. i think it was a 4cyl with 11 litres or more. absolutely cooked it.

I tried HPR30 which is recommended by penrite for that engine... and it knocked immediately. Pump did manage to drag it up to the new oil filter btw. not sure of that's worth mentioning

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have a look see at this.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hey guys i found the problem! the pin has dropped out of cam gear drive shaft. so at idle its grabbing just enough to maintain some pressure and then when you rev it slips and so pressure falls. whats involved in fixing this? im thinking timing cover off but hopefully not chain and cam out etc