Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L timing and leads

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Hey all I'm pretty certain with the answer but need certainty before I do anything, I got a cammed vsiii/vt 5L, has ngk 10.5mm leads but have brand new 9mm leads, would that 1.5mm make absolutely any difference? I'm tipping no, also timed the motor and forgot to put it in diagnostic mode, it's currently only at 4 degrees, will have to get it to 12 in diagnostic mode, any suggestions on what degree will work best for a mild cam? A bit hesitant to advance it to 12 as its running good as in

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Lead size difference won't do squat.
Base timing is 10deg in diag mode. Set there (or 11 or 12 if you really want) and then add timing in the tune.

When I first started my 355" the base timing was at 26° until I got it to idle and then backed it off to 11.
No harm done at 4° but do fix it when you can.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Prefer set at 10deg in diagnostics like factory...then if cammed or other mods have all that done properly in memcal tune.

Old days if you had 165i stocker with bolt on mods dudes would do that 12 or 14 degree trick to run premuim for low comp stocker engine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Had chiptorque memcal for 304 in gtr *slaps head* no idea wtf was done to it but needed vats disabled anyway...

Then got put onto Greenfoam & lerned about pcmhacking later on lol

That's some old @rse shite there before ls conversions we all wanted grp a or walky manifolds haha

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Had chiptorque memcal for 304 in gtr *slaps head* no idea wtf was done to it but needed vats disabled anyway...

Then got put onto Greenfoam & lerned about pcmhacking later on lol

That's some old @rse shite there before ls conversions we all wanted grp a or walky manifolds haha
Do we not all still want VN grp A manifold?
Darn I think I missed that memo

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah still like another group a manifold one day...had real one 15-20yrs ago so can be patient to wait & see how the mr ttb item pan out.

Never had vortech setup so would rather save up for one of those first....takes forever!!!!

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Prefer set at 10deg in diagnostics like factory...then if cammed or other mods have all that done properly in memcal tune.

Old days if you had 165i stocker with bolt on mods dudes would do that 12 or 14 degree trick to run premuim for low comp stocker engine.

The real annoying part is it looks to be darting from 9-12 degrees if that makes sense, I set it anyway on 10ish degrees and now it hammers in low end rpm, just hate timing as I'm scared too much advance will murder my motor

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Do we not all still want VN grp A manifold?
Darn I think I missed that memo

And now unfortunately Trick shift no more , I no not cheap new but now!!!!
Could always pay near crazy price ol'mate going to need to and will charge for these new/ remanufactured grp A manifolds.
I think you've gotta really really really want one of any 3 now.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Theres a guy on FB called Mr TTB who has started remaking the group A manifolds.

He's done 1 batch so far but I don't know what the price is, and frankly I don't want to know.