Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6L80E transmission issues after first service

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Just had my VF2 Redline in for its 15,000Km service.
Now I'm having an issue with the auto transmission.
If you pull up at a roundabout or give way, then accelerate quickly to move again, trans slips into neutral, engine revs high then the trans grabs into gear and the car takes off.
Not having much luck with Holden so looking for some opinions to help my case.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I'd be promptly getting the level checked for a start. Either demand holden do, or find a friendly workshop with a hoist (trans shop probably best bet). There is a strict refilling and level checking procedure

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
The 6L80E is a bitch to check the levels without a hoist but it can be done on the driveway:

Jack up all 4 corners completely off the ground

Enter engineering mode and select transmission temperature

Run through R - N - D and vice versa until trans temp is over 40 degrees

With the engine still on, crack the trans pan fluid bolt and measure how much fluid is coming out. If it's dry, you need to add fluid. If it's a slight trickle but a constant stream then the level is fine (this is when you go back to your dealer and ask WTF).

Adding fluid needs to be pumped into the filler hole which can be tricky as it's right next to the catalytic converter so be careful not to burn your hand. If you added fluid then repeat the steps above.

All assuming you can be bothered, if under warranty then get Holden to deal with it