Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 inch sub

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
got onto a pair of 8's off ebay... not bigest in power handling - 150w each, bein a ute dont really need to go tooo big havin smaller space, but as long as it can complement rather than drown out the music with all bass ill be happy... lookin into ways of making a bandpass enclosure but ill see what i can do when i get me seats out n have a look at how much space ill need, everything else is ready to go, got the amp sittin in its box atm ready to install, thanks to all of ya for ya intrests and replys. let ya know how it goes!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Why would you even consider a bandpass box? Do you have all the T/S specs for the subs? Without those there is NO WAY to build a good sounding bandpass box.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
StoneX said:
Why would you even consider a bandpass box? Do you have all the T/S specs for the subs? Without those there is NO WAY to build a good sounding bandpass box.
i didn;t know they were MENT to sound good! :thumbsup:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Haha... They're not really, but the tuning frequencies are very important. You might end up with tuning of 45 and 48Hz and have a massive peak in the response and nothing elsewhere over the frequency range.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
yeah ive got a pdf on the TS parametres, i know with the bandpass it focus' more on a smaller range of bass, but yeah all the same im jus toyin with ideas atm.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
upload the pdf or a winisd profile, i want to have a look.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
http://www.avecorp.com.au/system/PDF/B8-100.pdf
runnin them on a paralelle circuit to get round a 4 ohm load,
thinkin bout it more today while i was at work.. bandpass may not be practical due to the space availible to me, yeah anywas still toyin with ideas till i get the phreddy mods then ill really worry about it when i get everythin down to pieces,
yeah with figures presented id have to present a 6th order bandpass box with these woofers due to their construction...

techhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Im also looking at putting a sub into my VY II Storm. Have orderd Phreddy's kits and when they arrive will start building the system up. And being a ute you aren't going to get 12" or 15" subs in there, and Im interested in adding some bass not SPL ( I spend upwards of 4hrs a day in it :whistling )

Still thinking about where Im going to put the sub and how to build it. Space is really the issue with the utes and as far as I can see there is only two real options. A box down in behind the drivers seat (passenger seat well has the jacks and is good safe storage for laptops etc). Or as a few others have done on here get into the well beside the fuel tank in the tray and put a box in there. Each has its pros and cons

Behind the drivers seat, mmm box has a max volume of about 16 litres and is shallow, because of the sloping front needed to fit with the back of the seat. To give you an idea take a volley ball (8” diameter give or take) put it behind the seat and push the seat fully back, just as the seat gets to max travel it starts compressing the ball. The well is also only ~280mm high, so a 10” shallow sub is the best Im going to get in there using a sealed box. Maybe a pair of 8” side by side or in an isobaric enclosure using a piece of 225 mm PVC pipe. That said behind the seat is hidden, good sound travel and realativly eaiy to take out (ok you got to take the seat out).

Beside the Fuel tank, first thing that springs to mind is what happens in a side impact crash. Ok that aside this solution allows a good 10” sub to be used and has a reasonable box volume. Not sure how much sound actually gets through the airvents into the cabin though. I have seen one installation where linings behind the passenger seat well (where jack handle is) were removed to open up the vents to help this. Its a major job to fit and remove, even more so when you have a tray liner installed. Design wise probally stick to some variant of a sealed box

Still weighing up the options though might go for the first one to start with as its reasonably easy to do.

V

V6BEAST

im not sure if ur still looking for this info re: 8" subs but i have found that 'jaycar' venoms are nice to listen to i HAVE TWO IN my house set up as well as two more going into the vn they have a huge magnet and handle 100wmrs, I have had a **** load more than that in mine just dont let them distort, thats when stuff turns to dc volts and thats when funny smells come a bout:)