Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 vs commodore not going into gear

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had my trans pulled by the local garage. He had no issues and it was a 4L60e like yours.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The TC needs to be installed on the trans input shaft first. Then rotated and pushed at the same time until it locates correctly. I have even used cable ties to hold the TC in place when installing the trans.

If the TC was left on the flex plate and the trans installed, it would 100% damaged the trans oil pump.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wow guys thank you all for your help!! I definitely pid to much and I supplied the box I know I know stupid! but I’ve only just worked this out I actually supplied the box but he used the TC off my old box? The gearbox didn’t come with a TC sadly I’m sorry for being so stupid guys I do actually realise now but I’m just being honest because I am in need of real help so I do appreciate it a lot! The mechanic definitely said something about the TC not looking right and he said it’s not tight and snug as it’s meant to be

We all fully understand your concerns...From what you have written, this mechanic just wanted to take your money and use some bulldust excuse for his stuff up....

He shouldn't have continued on with the installation with these concerns and definately not taken your hard earned cash until the job was completed satisfactorily.....That included a test drive to ensure the gearbox was selecting gears properly

So my suggestion would be, get the car back to him and get him to fix the problem and you not hand him another dollar....Oh and don't blame yourself for this dodgy mongrel

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
you guys are legends, so if the TC wasn’t installed properly from the start on my old box could of this caused me to roll to a stop on the highway? Then this mechanic has put a new box in with my old TC and now he can’t get it to go in properly himself does this sound right at all?

is there any advice you could give me and a mate to do it? I really appreciate everyone’s reply this forum is wicked! I’m definitely gonna have a look at some TC installation vids today and see what I can do I have been played by this mechanic and this is why I should of chose to learn myself first this car is up high on stands at the moment, I am in Redbank plains if anyone wants to have a look and see if it’s wrong

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
you guys are legends, so if the TC wasn’t installed properly from the start on my old box could of this caused me to roll to a stop on the highway? Then this mechanic has put a new box in with my old TC and now he can’t get it to go in properly himself does this sound right at all?

is there any advice you could give me and a mate to do it? I really appreciate everyone’s reply this forum is wicked! I’m definitely gonna have a look at some TC installation vids today and see what I can do I have been played by this mechanic and this is why I should of chose to learn myself first this car is up high on stands at the moment, I am in Redbank plains if anyone wants to have a look and see if it’s wrong

Personally I wouldn't be stuffing around with it when you paid for the job to be done in the first place, however if you choose to do it yourself, look really good at youtube videos to make sure the T/C is installed fully

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
Personally I wouldn't be stuffing around with it when you paid for the job to be done in the first place, however if you choose to do it yourself, look really good at youtube videos to make sure the T/C is installed fully
I will try he will say I paid him to swap the gearbox and that’s what he done I do know 100% what you mean I’m just about to leave on holidays and I would just like for it to be working before I leave I have a very smart mate but I don’t know if he will come around today but I’m hoping so is the TC the same from Vs-vy? Is it possible that it’s the wrong TC? I hope not cause I did think of it was in those years it should be fine I hope I wasn’t wrong

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
sounds like the trannys coming out and another box and converter is going in unfortunately is there any point with 2nd hand parts if your paying for labour as you are paying get a wrecker to supply and fit the next tranny they'll give you 3 months warranty and put another one if the first one is a dud.
The wrecker will give you a good tranny this way as its his money redoing it. you'll get a better tranny than he will sell you to install yourself.
VS-VT converters are different

Reactions: Lex

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
sounds like the trannys coming out and another box and converter is going in unfortunately is there any point with 2nd hand parts if your paying for labour as you are paying get a wrecker to supply and fit the next tranny they'll give you 3 months warranty and put another one if the first one is a dud.
The wrecker will give you a good tranny this way as its his money redoing it. you'll get a better tranny than he will sell you to install yourself.
VS-VT converters are different
I will try locate a vs-vt TC so both the gearboxes will be ruined now from the TC not being installed properly?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Who removed & fitted both transmissions? Warranty? Wreckers or a workshop?

Did you pay 1k for a replacement transmission then had to use convertor dtraight from dead transmission?

If convertor was incorrectly fitted you'd have known quickly....basically jiggle it & spin untill get 3 clicks or hear it rubbing inside bellhousing.

BUT BUT BUT..when fitting transmission if you let convertor slip out so it's not properly seated before tighten up al bellhousing bolts you will do damage.

Hard to work out order of events from your posts & who did what work with what parts?

If you used old convertor from dead transmision...not good.

Improperly installed taransmission by you...voided warranty

If they did work & installed it all should be warranty....1k could be remove & refit 2nd hand transmission

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
Who removed & fitted both transmissions? Warranty? Wreckers or a workshop?

Did you pay 1k for a replacement transmission then had to use convertor dtraight from dead transmission?

If convertor was incorrectly fitted you'd have known quickly....basically jiggle it & spin untill get 3 clicks or hear it rubbing inside bellhousing.

BUT BUT BUT..when fitting transmission if you let convertor slip out so it's not properly seated before tighten up al bellhousing bolts you will do damage.

Hard to work out order of events from your posts & who did what work with what parts?

If you used old convertor from dead transmision...not good.

Improperly installed taransmission by you...voided warranty

If they did work & installed it all should be warranty....1k could be remove & refit 2nd hand transmission
Thanks so much for your time and reply mate I really don’t know much about TCs or their installation but if the TC died while i was driving would the car just loose everything?