Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A VD Commodore? I don't make this stuff up

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
Carl_B said:
Hi Mixin,

The stamping error is the way I'm leanin' - I've heard of a Monaro (HK, HT, HG I've forgotten which) that was supposed to have been stamped all wrong and GMH tried to get it back and the owner told 'em to sod off.
Now this could also be an urban myth as no-one has actually seen it that I know of, even as a photo - at least I got tags ;)

It's not an urban myth - I have heard of a VD before. When I had the shop a customer walked in on a friday arvo wanting to know if I could fix the power aerial in his VD SL/E. He reeked of alcohol, and thinking it was a furphy 'cause the guy was pissed, I went along with him to avoid a long argument.
When he was sober a few days later he brought the car around to the shop & showed me! There it was, plain as day on te compliance, but the chassis number read AVC......B. The chassis number stated it was a VC built at Acacia Ridge (Brisbane).

Further on the stamping prob, did you know there were 20 VL 304 blocks that left the factory all wearing the same engine number? Nice one to find out at the RTA/vicroads/Qld Transport etc....

Anyway, the numbers you have posted are a little curious....
Carl_B said:
8K69LA H149607C....
The model looks "LOOKS" like C8VK69 - it's covered in blue paint
The first one is easy, and says it's a VC. How?
8=Holden, K=trim level (commodore L), 69=sedan, L=3.3L 6, A=model year (9/80 - 8/81), H1=Acacia Ridge assembled (Brisbane), 49607 is part of the production serial number (with H1 on the front this becomes the "tag number") and the C on the end denotes VC series.

The other one will be VC8VK69.
VC=VC series, 8=Holden, V=V-car family, K=trim level(commodore L) and 69=sedan.

So basically you have an Acacia Ridge assembled VC commodore "L" sedan (not SL/E - it has an X instead of a K) originally fitted with a 3.3L motor.

So it would seem the VD really is a stamping mistake as the rest of the numbers all say VC.

Just to double check it was a Brisbane assembled one, the number you blotted out on the pic (the chassis number) should read something like AVC######B - the B on the end signifies Acacia Ridge.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
mixin said:
The first one is easy, and says it's a VC. How?
8=Holden, K=trim level (commodore L), 69=sedan, L=3.3L 6, A=model year (9/80 - 8/81), H1=Acacia Ridge assembled (Brisbane), 49607 is part of the production serial number (with H1 on the front this becomes the "tag number") and the C on the end denotes VC series.

The other one will be VC8VK69.
VC=VC series, 8=Holden, V=V-car family, K=trim level(commodore L) and 69=sedan.

So basically you have an Acacia Ridge assembled VC commodore "L" sedan (not SL/E - it has an X instead of a K) originally fitted with a 3.3L motor.

So it would seem the VD really is a stamping mistake as the rest of the numbers all say VC.

Just to double check it was a Brisbane assembled one, the number you blotted out on the pic (the chassis number) should read something like AVC######B - the B on the end signifies Acacia Ridge.

correct...
saved me the effort of typing all that in...
so I reckon stamping error
and
don't forget Acacia Ridge
made TD and then TE geminis at that time...
the error is an easy one...

C

Carl_B

Mixin,

mixin said:
It's not an urban myth - I have heard of a VD before. . .

By urban myth, I was referring to the Monaro story. I know it's not a genuine SLE - I was going to replace the original trim with re-stitched SLE trim, besides I'm a de-badger so to me L, SL, SLE etc mean nothing it's how pretty it looks ;)

I've always leant toward the stamping error as I pointed out in my original post, plus the fact it it clearly shows AVCxxxxxxB which even to me, a Chrysler fan says it a VC.

Acacia Ridge it is - you guys are a minefield of info :) 'ere's one for ya, the paint as shown on the tag is 568-31727 - what colour is it ;)

Thanks again
Carl

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Carl_B said:
Acacia Ridge it is - you guys are a minefield of info :) 'ere's one for ya, the paint as shown on the tag is 568-31727 - what colour is it ;)

Thanks again
Carl

Can I check my dulux book tonite???
and will letya know...

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Carl_B said:

Thanks again
Carl
very interesting
I have been thru all my production sheets
no...568-31727
I have
568-10981 Firethorn
568-30517 Flamenco red
568-30518 Jasmine Yellow
568-30521 Palais white
568-30522 Panama green
568-30857 Ashley grey
568-30858 Mojave beige
568-30860 Reef green
568-30861 Tuxedo Black
I even have
577-17970 - gold stripe
578-31418 - door black (for the frames)
222-17216 - wheel silver (you all wanted to know that :rofl: )
599-05830 - rear compartment black

and thats it for the 'solid' colours

maybe, just maybe..we are talking a VH colour

now, all I gotta do, is find my VH charts :(

cheers

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a typo or misread as I can't find it in my paint charts, and I even sent an email to c'nut and he has no record of that number either, but he suggested it may be atlantis blue, but the code for it is: 567-30525

568 as a prefix indicates a solid (non metallic colour) so is it possible this may be the predecessor to police blue if it is a light blue?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
midnight.outlaw said:
It's not a typo or misprint, there really was a VD, and VA
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=1494&

definitely there was a VA...which was BEFORE VB

they produced 3 to my knowledge
one went to GM in the states (as they do with all)
one went thru Engineering tests (got crashed into
'the block' eventually) and the last one
was 'clinic'd'..that is the public see it
(by invitation of course) and give their views
and as everyone hated the front..4 eyes look :b:
they re-did the front )and that with some engineering
changes became VB!)

hth

cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
mixin said:
I'm thinking it's a typo or misread as I can't find it in my paint charts, and I even sent an email to c'nut and he has no record of that number either, but he suggested it may be atlantis blue, but the code for it is: 567-30525

568 as a prefix indicates a solid (non metallic colour) so is it possible this may be the predecessor to police blue if it is a light blue?

my mate Mick(the 'nut) ....has no record????
then it don't exist :confused:
and yes, you are correct about the Dulon paint line codes
568 for solids and 567 for metallics

re the light blue, I never recall seeing any light blue VC's
but I did see some light blue VHs ..for the NSW police from memory...

cheers

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
midnight.outlaw said:
It's not a typo or misprint, there really was a VD, and VA
If you read the entire thread then you would know I was referring to the paint code - not the VD bit, which was all explained further up.

VXIISSM6er said:
my mate Mick(the 'nut) ....has no record????
then it don't exist :confused:
and yes, you are correct about the Dulon paint line codes
568 for solids and 567 for metallics

re the light blue, I never recall seeing any light blue VC's
but I did see some light blue VHs ..for the NSW police from memory...

cheers
No, me neither. I lived in NSW during that period, and the first "powder blue" cop cars I saw were VHs, but even then the paint code is different again.
When I asked Mick what the code was & mentioned blue, that response was what he came up with as a possible explanation as it was a solid colour code, and he said he checked all the other makes/models Holden produced around that time as well to see if it may have been an odd run (like the Papaya VHs), but got nothing anywhere on it.
He has them all in an excel spreadsheet, and you can search it for a partial match (I have an early copy he did that is strictly commodore). I tried just the shade (assuming a possible mis-stamp with the 567/568 but still came up empty handed!