Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS and Stability Control Faults

matt18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega
Hi all,

Had a read through many posts on this forum with people experiencing similar problems with their Commodores, but haven't seemed to find anything that fixes my problem. I've got a 2007 VE Omega that has had a few problems - first got an ABS error, then stability control, which occasionally puts the car into power safety mode. Very rarely get an airbag fault that pops up for a bit then disappears, which thankfully hasn't happened in a while! All started about June 2013, when the faults started and the fuel gauge died on me. Got the NRMA in to have a look and they pulled up a P0101 error code (Mass Air Flow or Volume Air Flow Sensor). Took it to Suttons Homebush (NSW), where they upgraded the software, did a throttle body and injector service and replaced the stop globe and parkers (which had also died - 2 blown fuses), costing just under $600. According to the Suttons paperwork I have they diagnosed P0101, U0100 and U0155 error codes (but also mention B1380, B0083, P2068, P0463, C0050 and C0561 codes on the technician story I got a copy of). This seemed to fix the problems, until about a month later when, after washing the car, turned it on and the errors had returned - and I had blown another stop light.

Went back to Holden and was quoted $1287 to replace the ECU which was causing the fuel gauge error and would, in Suttons' words, "hopefully fix the other faults too." They changed the ECU, which fixed the fuel gauge, but did nothing to fix the other faults. Suttons had a look at the wiring in the car for 2 hours as well, which $380 later lead to them telling me "we need the car in to have another look around" and "possibly look at putting a new throttle body in".

Got a bit fed up of paying all this money for them to "have a look around" and took the car to another mechanic, who had a poke around for a few minutes and told me my ABS pump (I think that's what he said) didn't have any voltage - not exactly sure what that means, but he found that problem in 5 minutes after driving around the block in the car with his diagnostic tool. Not sure if they're connected, but Suttons told me over the phone that the ABS module was fine - bit confused there...

Today I've called Holden customer service and they've assigned me a case manager who should contact me in the next day or so to discuss all this. I love Holden and my Commodore (grown up around Toranas and Commodores) but all these issues (and money!) have left me with a really bad taste in my mouth. Anyone have any ideas about what I should do from here or potential solutions I can try? Not sure if I want to go on what seems a wild goose chase again...

Cheers,

Matt

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
there is a good chance the ABS error is being caused by a faulty ABS loom on rear.. its a common problem on the VE. its usually the rear left ABS plug that shits itself and throws up ABS errors and ESP. if u read u should see another thread about the same ABS problem. the rear loom costs about $55 from holden. not hard to change it. just its a Y cable and u have to make sure ur car is up on stands. i never go to dealers for work. they charge way to much. did my timing chain on my SV6. cost me $2000. holden wanted $4500 for the job. the guy in ther other thread he got the new ABS loom. and it fixed the ABS/ESP problems right away.

markea

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Commodore
To the OP, did the loom fix the problem mate? I have had a similar problem (without the ABS Error, but comes up with stability control disabled, followed by safety mode) for years and if this $100 part fixes the issue I will be laughing (I am going to try it regardless).

matt18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega
Hi mate, to be honest after Holden screwed me for so much money I haven't even tried it - afraid they'll just tell me it didn't work and want to poke around at their ridiculous hourly rate! If it works out for you let me know though - would definitely like to stop the beeping everytime I turn on the car!

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
What might cause ABS / Stability warning lights on a '02 VX auto ?

If I put shifter in PARK and then turn ignition off I get the lights on restart. If I turn it off and then shift it to PARK afterwards I don't get the lights on restart !?

At least there's no beeping noises.

Holden Fanatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Executive 5L
Hi all,

Had a read through many posts on this forum with people experiencing similar problems with their Commodores, but haven't seemed to find anything that fixes my problem. I've got a 2007 VE Omega that has had a few problems - first got an ABS error, then stability control, which occasionally puts the car into power safety mode. Very rarely get an airbag fault that pops up for a bit then disappears, which thankfully hasn't happened in a while! All started about June 2013, when the faults started and the fuel gauge died on me. Got the NRMA in to have a look and they pulled up a P0101 error code (Mass Air Flow or Volume Air Flow Sensor). Took it to Suttons Homebush (NSW), where they upgraded the software, did a throttle body and injector service and replaced the stop globe and parkers (which had also died - 2 blown fuses), costing just under $600. According to the Suttons paperwork I have they diagnosed P0101, U0100 and U0155 error codes (but also mention B1380, B0083, P2068, P0463, C0050 and C0561 codes on the technician story I got a copy of). This seemed to fix the problems, until about a month later when, after washing the car, turned it on and the errors had returned - and I had blown another stop light.

Went back to Holden and was quoted $1287 to replace the ECU which was causing the fuel gauge error and would, in Suttons' words, "hopefully fix the other faults too." They changed the ECU, which fixed the fuel gauge, but did nothing to fix the other faults. Suttons had a look at the wiring in the car for 2 hours as well, which $380 later lead to them telling me "we need the car in to have another look around" and "possibly look at putting a new throttle body in".

Got a bit fed up of paying all this money for them to "have a look around" and took the car to another mechanic, who had a poke around for a few minutes and told me my ABS pump (I think that's what he said) didn't have any voltage - not exactly sure what that means, but he found that problem in 5 minutes after driving around the block in the car with his diagnostic tool. Not sure if they're connected, but Suttons told me over the phone that the ABS module was fine - bit confused there...

Today I've called Holden customer service and they've assigned me a case manager who should contact me in the next day or so to discuss all this. I love Holden and my Commodore (grown up around Toranas and Commodores) but all these issues (and money!) have left me with a really bad taste in my mouth. Anyone have any ideas about what I should do from here or potential solutions I can try? Not sure if I want to go on what seems a wild goose chase again...

Cheers,

Matt

How much did they charge you update your system?

Fuchanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thanks to all, I read through many of your posts and fixed my ABS problem by simply replacing the ABS sensor. I've just produced a quick video on youtube showing how to test your ABS wheels sensors using an el cheapo multimeter:

"How to test ABS wheel sensors for VE Commodore using cheap multimeter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoAy6Qz_DOc&feature=youtu.be

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Numerous ABS and stability control faults on my 2011 S2 Omega. Changed the rear loom and whèel sensors. Bitch of a job but no fix.

Fixed it though... Ive been using an ELM327 BT OBD dongle with Torque Pro on Android - pulled the dongle and no more faults. Plug back in and fault reappears. I used to get the faults most often just after filling the car but have now done 10000 K without fault. Plugged the dongle back in last night to check fuel level - the percent remaining figure from the OBD is super accurate - filled it up and within 10K...Bingo! Brake ABS and Stability back. Stop pull dongle wait 2 minutes all fixed

sss1600

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 auto (crazy i know! Haa)