Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS fault HELP !

VYmaloo227

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy maloo r8
Hello people my vy s1 maloo r8 throws an abs fault warning every now and then i will turn the car off turn it back on and it is gone what can be causing it to do this?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
It may be the abs module on its way out its behind the drivers side kick panel if that doesn't work it could be a fault with the abs sensors on the wheels

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
A member had a similar issue a few years back which turned out to be his three

he replaced his rear tyres with different size, and this difference threw out the readings between the front and rear. Rolling diameter changed.

Have U changed tyre sizes since the codes have occured?

Rumrunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
There is a known issue with the ABS solenoid pack. This is located under the bonnet attached to the ABS hydraulics system.
Does your aircon go off also? Mine used to, and it would display an unusual error symbol in the LCD's on my VYII Berlina.
If this is what you are seeing, it may be the solenoid assembly. These are available for about $180 as reconditioned items from
various eBay sellers. What everyone on this forum doesn't get is there is serial data travelling around between sub-systems on
cars such as these. When the ABS has a fault, it appeared in my case to bring down the serial comms and hence the aircon went
crazy as well. Possibly these susyems share a common comms bus. Food for thought.

tommygun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M6
My abs fault comes up every time I Do skids. It goes off when I restart the car or it may take longer sometimes. Apparently that is common. Does it happen after you have been doing skids or does it just come up?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
A friend of mine had the same issue on his VY (non traction) and all we did was take ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352621413.871536.jpg
that black plastic bit (it's held on with 6 torx screws) on the front of the ABS module and change it with a spare from a VT we had, job done!

PJDM1980

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Also can be gunk built up on abs wheel sensors, or an intermittent internal fault in one of them. Have replaced a few rear sensors for this issue.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Also can be gunk built up on abs wheel sensors, or an intermittent internal fault in one of them. Have replaced a few rear sensors for this issue.

Yep, most likely and cheapest fix. If you do a DST check there will be codes logged to the wheel speed sensor fault.

ABS modules failing usually progress in more and more abstract warning lights and things turning off.

Jimmyd304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
I have a vy sv8 with abs, srs and temp gauge not working so fans dont come on and overheats. Thought separate issues but it all happens at the same time could this be abs module?

neilteo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Clubsport
Thanks to RumRunner back in 2012. I had the same issue where I had errors displayed below as well as a "X" in the Aircon display (represented below but later with a picture editor as forgot to take a picture. Anyway replaced ABS Solenoid Pack reconditioned for around $300 in comparison to $1000 from Holden (or whats left of it).

Other symptoms where:-
1) ABS and TRAC OFF. Otherwise car drove fine.
2) When it occurred sometimes turning it off and starting it again cleared alarms.
3) Only one time my ABS fired as if I was braking at high speed and losing grip but was only doing 20-30kms driving like a grandpa... So should not have fired.
4) A little "Tune" played with 7 notes when it happened.
1.png

2.png
3.png
2020-07-05 09.38.55.jpg

Hope it helps someone else.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 2.png
    2.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 237