Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS speed sensor fault

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
Ok,

So I recently replaced all four shocks, all four rotors and pads. The front rotors were done a while ago, but the others were all a week ago.
The issue is my ABS light. I turn on the car and its all good, and after braking maybe 5 minutes into the drive, (although it varies), the light comes on and abs doesn't work. I've flashed up the codes and gotten a 35:
'35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault' - cheers kopper69

I've also noticed that the abs seems to activate -it pulsates- when it isnt really needed, under soft braking.

I took it to a brake shop and they bled the brakes and replaced the rear left sensor.

ALSO, the car seems to have a shudder, noticeable at speeds above 50 and only when coasting or braking. Could it be related?

Any help at all... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

(Rotors: Slotted DBA/RDA, Pads: GPmax, Shocks: Monroe, Standard Height)

Pat

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have a front right wheel speed sensor that is faulty. This makes the ABS and Traction control lights light up sometimes (more often in hot weather).
The thing is though, mine does not show up with the self diagnostics, so you may have another faulty sensor out of the other three.

I know I have a wheel speed sensor that is faulty, as I have had a scan done on the car for faults. I wanted the place to fix it for me, but I was told the wheel speed sensors are no longer available for VT Commodores, the only way to get on is to go second hand (I was in the office whilst the bloke spoke to a supplier).

Call a Holden dealership and confirm that the part is still able to be bought new, if not go back to the brake shop who did the work and and ask if it was a new one they put in.

Hope this helps,

Glenn.

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
It wasn't a new one, it was a second hand one. But the two parts when you looked at them. The old sensor had some wear, a shiny bit on the side towards the gear. And yeh I'm pretty sure that they don't make them any more. I was there whilst they changed it, and they cleaned the gear.
So you reckon it could be another sensor. Would an obd pick it up, and do I need to clear it with the tech tool??

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
An OBD is a tech tool isn't it?

It could be a different one or it could be the same one, just faulty.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A decent scantool like the tech 2 will show all of the 4 seperate wheel sensor readings in km/h. If theres any breaks or large flunctuations in any of the wheel sensor signals, it will show up on the scantool as the car is driven. Sometimes these ABS systems wont log any ABS error codes when they only having intermittent problems.

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
Do you know anyone who could lend me some time and tech 2 around Dandenong/ south east Melbourne? I'm not entirely keen to fork out heaps I'm guessing this will end up being.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Theres a few guys on here now who have bought these $400 tech 2 kits from china, so surely theres someone down that way who has one and would be able to help out a fellow JC member..Id do it for you no worries if you were near me.

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
Now the trick is to find someone nearby to help out checking it.
The shudder I'm feeling and hearing, is that a possible cause or symptom of the sensor dying?

fullboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
the shudder could be from a numerous of things
buckled wheel
flexing rotors (if there a cheap brand )
wheel bearing
one brake pad might be worn more
and what type of shudder is it can you feel it though the steering wheel or the body of the car ?

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
The rotors were dba all round. Pads were new. The steering wheel does vibrate, a fair bit, and you can feel the shudder, through the car. I first thought it was the rear handbrake clinging to the disk. But too it to the shop and they lubed and adjusted everything. How would I check for a messed up bearing or bent wheel?

I don't even think its best described as a shudder, but maybe a heavy vibration? I dunno. I'll get a sound bite and chuck it up here. But it only happens when coasting or braking at speeds above 40.