Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accelerating while turning, VS commodore problem

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
While turning at a fair speed, say 40kph ish (and keeping speed by accelerating a touch), there is a wierd grinding/clicky sound coming from either wheel depending on what way you are turning. So you turn left and the noise comes from the right wheel arch, turn right the noise comes from the left wheel arch. When slowing down and turning normally there is no problem so its no real issue, just wondered is its an eay thing to fix?

Thanks,
Alex Short

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
do you have big wheels? is the tyre rubbing on gaurd ?
Check all the wheel nuts , and nuts n bolts in the brakes, steering and suspension are tight. Could also be wheel bearings if your car has done lots of k's.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I had a similar problem - hum/grind/vibration on turns at about 40kph and below and went as far as new front hubs, discs and pads to no avail (but cost heaps). In the end it turned out to be the cheap Chinese tyres on the front - replaced them and silence.
If the rears are a different brand try swapping them. Hope this can save you cash.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
And I had a similar problem, but only on the driver's side front wheel, when the bush on the bottom of the stabiliser link broke and popped out.

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Check your suspension over for anything worn or loose. It could be something in there. Alot of people overlook the suspenion side of things and think itll be ok but like most other stuff on a car it can need regular check ups an repairs.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
The front bushes and struts have been recently replaced. The wheels are stocko, and I just got new tyres from bob jane with a wheel alignment. So it could be the suspension? Its not a real big problem as there is no need to go round corners fast lol but it doesnt sound good when it happens. I just got new brakes and rotors from the mechanic? Could it be they have not put something on tight enough? Im not sure if this was happening before the rotors and brakes were done, only noticed it the other day. Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I would definitely check to see if the bushes on the bottom of the stabiliser links are still there. The problem on my car occurred about 5000 km after new front and rear suspension springs and shock absorbers had been replaced. The sway bar link rods were not replaced at that time. It is possible that the bushes on the old link rods could have been upset by the changes made to the front suspension, by being over-stressed or resettling into a new position. I fitted a pair of new link rods and bushes for $66.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah those bushes where replaced my a mechanic about 2000-3000kms ago. As one side busted some how. So the link kit is the only thing that is new in the wheel archs. Still stock springs and shocks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm still thinking tyres probably as it cost me many wasted dollars tracking down my noise....however, if the noise was there before you fitted new tyres then that would rule tyres out as the problem - but if its only been noticed after the new tyres then it could be the problem. Good Luck.