Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting the angle steering wheel / steering column

Kabooooom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hi guys

I just bought a new VN commodore to replace my old one (blown engine + 1000 other things wrong with it). Took it for a test drive, handled well, good acceleration, good breaks, so I bought it and have a car again :lock:

When I got home I tried putting the seat down (up/down, not lean back) to get comfortable AND still see the speedo through the steering wheel. Couldn't. Raised and lowered the chair, not luck, scratched my head jumped in the old vn just to make sure I'm not going crazy and I'm sure the steering wheel / column is tilted lower in my new car. I had a look at where the steering column goes into the dash and you can see a gap in the new, but not in the old, so the whole steering column is angled lowered.

I'll post some photos tomorrow, too dark atm to get anything sensible.

My dad (being shorter) jumped it in and could see fine, the guy I bought it off was a bit on the shorter size as well, I'm 6ft so :banstick:

Now is that angle easily adjustable ? atm it looks a bit of a dogey job cause the trim has a gap in it, so I'm starting to get concerned. I've got a gregory's manual for it for the v8 (got the v6 but its close enough) and I'm gonna have a hunt through it.

Anyone here had similar issues / raised lowered their steering column before?

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
id be pretty sure its just a bolt either side on a bracket holding it in place.... put some washers in there to space it down a bit and get ur angle.... that would be my guess...

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
good q, but i dont think vn-vp's have Steering wheel adjustment?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So you need to lift the wheel up I'm guessing? See if the bolts holding the bracket have come loose causing the column to hang lower.