Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advise on supercharging my vt 5.0L 383 stroker

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Vt supercharged 383 stroker
Been a while but here's an update....

Hey guys, I know it's been a looooooong time but she's pretty much all done, supercharger is on and It absolutely insane! Lol
It's going back in soon for its final tune as I had the motor rebuilt (due to a few hiccups) but on a soft tune running only 4 psi it's making 370rwkw.
I've picked up a t56 6 speed to put it in when it goes in for final tune aswell so it should be a shitload of fun when it comes back. I'm hoping to achieve around 420+rwkw

Now for a bit of a story on the build process.....
The charger and intercooler setup was a real pain to fit it all in so the guys had to do a lot of fab work and customising parts you'll never see to get it all to work. Shane and the guys at Alpine Performance did an amazing Job!
Of course adding a charger tested the rest of the driveline and the original motor, first to go was the hsv diff so that got upgraded to an Eaten trutrac with 3.91's and custom made parts to make it as strong as possible.
Next was head gaskets blew, due to inferior gaskets for what the motor was. Got that fixed and found more problems in the motor (after putting the foot into it it started sounding like a tractor), as first we thought the oil pump was no good so it was replaced with a custom Hemi big block oil pump and 7L high energy sump setup. But noise was still there......
Problem was the torque converter was making that much torque it was pushing on the crank and made it move and basically screwed the crank, rods, bearings ect... So happy days and full rebuild with new parts!
By now my wallet has had more of a flogging than a red headed stepchild but the car is running perfectly so hopefully that's all the expensive problems sorted!
Thanks for reading guys, I'll post some pics up of my baby so far! Cheers

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Did you use a forged crank and still 383 ??

And are you running E85

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Trying to figure out how to upload pics but iPad is being difficult at the moment.lol
It's still a come racing 383 crank same as the one I had before, looked into the better ones but for the price difference and quality of these ones my builder advised me to go with using the same one.
It's tuned to run on premium pump fuel

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's a look under the bonnet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 185

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Few more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 144

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Good stuff

370rwkw is good fun, that's about what I had with my v2 think it was 378 or 373

Iv gone to a v7 now

The manual definetly makes it very lively that's for sure

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got the manual box and clutch out of the doner car today so hopefully in the next week or so I'll get it over to alpine performance for the conversion! Also waiting for a gm rip shifter to turn up to go with it.

What sort of difference did you find with the V7?

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Massive massive difference, the v2 (witch is same as a v3 but uses engine oil appose to a self contained oil system like the v3) was just power that come on hard, griped well and went hard just like yours would now

The v7 is on a whole other level

V2 maxed out boost on 8 psi at 6000engine rpm where the v7 YSI is making 18 psi at 6700 engine rpm with the blower at 59 000 rpm of it's 65 000 rpm limit

Power is on a whole new level, myn Has gone from 373 rwkw before to 430rwkw now after just 3 runs with massive amounts of wheel spin, dyno reads 152km/h@6700rpm where before with v2 it read 166km/h at 6000rpm and still got more tuning left In it and is still blowing black smoke, I had to stop as my fuel pumps started cavatating due to heat it produced, but the torque has jumped massively and I now have a read out of 1100 nm at the tyres but is probley higher due to wheel spin, it just frys tyres now, can not get 3rd gear flat with out spinning the tyres no matter how easy I apply throttle

My tyres melted on the dyno, balls of rubber where just falling off them, the whole under my car behind wheels was coated in layer of rubber

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Massive massive difference, the v2 (witch is same as a v3 but uses engine oil appose to a self contained oil system like the v3) was just power that come on hard, griped well and went hard just like yours would now

The v7 is on a whole other level

V2 maxed out boost on 8 psi at 6000engine rpm where the v7 YSI is making 18 psi at 6700 engine rpm with the blower at 59 000 rpm of it's 65 000 rpm limit

Power is on a whole new level, myn Has gone from 373 rwkw before to 430rwkw now after just 3 runs with massive amounts of wheel spin, dyno reads 152km/h@6700rpm where before with v2 it read 166km/h at 6000rpm and still got more tuning left In it and is still blowing black smoke, I had to stop as my fuel pumps started cavatating due to heat it produced, but the torque has jumped massively and I now have a read out of 1100 nm at the tyres but is probley higher due to wheel spin, it just frys tyres now, can not get 3rd gear flat with out spinning the tyres no matter how easy I apply throttle

My tyres melted on the dyno, balls of rubber where just falling off them, the whole under my car behind wheels was coated in layer of rubber

Sounds like it goes alright.
I might have to plan a holiday to Mackay sometime. . . . . .