Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Ah bugger. But they all say its piston slap in the beginning. Did they inspect the cam and lifters while they had it apart?

Well I wish I could say the same, our L77 noise is bloody back. After the engine was removed, pulled apart, sent to an engine rebuilder, pistons coated with some thing like teflon or so I am told. The noise is back after not even 1500ks. .

ned

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss
No noise hear as yey

Iv got a 09 afm ve ss with 60 thousand k on it, no noise from it, quiet as a mouse, i feel sorry for u guys tho that would really p
Me of if i had that prob, good luck with it

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
update : they have inspected all the cam lobes and lifters and cant find anything wrong
So holden had them inspect the big end and main bearings but didnt find anything there either. Will hear more tomorrow

Last edited:

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
Update : They could not find anything wrong so they are replacing the lifters

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Update : They could not find anything wrong so they are replacing the lifters

It depends on the noise you were having. If its the same as whats in our videos on this thread replacing the lifters will not fix the issue.

Maybe post up a video of the problem sound for comparison.

Cheers

Phil

Mitch-VE6LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS series 2
Mate I can tell you that every alloy Chev engines rattles when cold. The 5.7's did it the 6 liters do too! The only difference is that the 6 liters aren't As bad as the 5.7's hence why they don't burn oil. Anyone who tells you "my gen 4 doesn't do it" it does there not listening properly. It's a very faint knock/rattle when stone cold, it's the identical noise to my VT 5.7 but NOWHERE near as bad, the short piston skirts plus an alloy block makes it hard to disguise noise like cast iron can. I don't know if this is the problem you have but if it is then that's what it is.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Like I said if it makes the knock/clunking noise that is in our (Olddog, SSVagon and mine) its not a 'normal' noise regardless of it being an alloy engine. With regards to other GEN4's not making the same sound I can tell you from experiance and testing (cold startups) of many VE V8s on the car lots here in Canberra during winter (new and uses) that had no clunking sounds during cold start.

I had a VT SS Ser2 with a 5.7lt engine and it do not make any cold start rattles or clunks in 8 years (142,000klm). The issues that we've had lasted for serveral minutes before going away. My new L77 does not clunk in the morning. If the motor does not clunk, rattle or make any other metalic noises in the beginning of its life but develops it after approx 5,000klm then there is something wrong with the manufacturing of the engine and its components.

Mitch-VE6LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS series 2
Every VE V8 I listen to makes the same noise. For a start if your VT didn't rattle you probably didn't get an ear for the noise. My Mates 07 ute, neighbours 06 sedan, my 2011 sedan, orssom's how to install there intake video that blue car does it! So does original parts groups red VE on there exhaust note video. From all the advice I've been given over the past 2 years after owning a VT with only 128,000 km on it that drove me nuts!!! Have you seen a piston from a gen 3 or 4? It almost had no piston skirt! That plus alloy block means looser fitting pistons because they have to be due to bigger expansions in the metal in conparison to cast iron. Which is much better and drowning out internal noises. The gen 3's had EXSESSIVE piston to bore clearance hence oil consumption and constant piston slap even when warm. Gen 4's on the other hand were much better designed but in saying that there isnt a huge amount of difference between a gen 3 and 4. Believe What you like but I've done alot of investigating. It's not a lifter noise either!!

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
for the first 80,000 odd thousand it never made a noise on a warm or cold start. Now it makes the rattling noise its worse in the mornings but can do it after only leaving the car for a couple of hours.
So hopefully they will fix when i get it back next week.
Least they gave me a car to drive around in albeit a 95 holden apollo

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Mitch, did you even listen to the video's that we've posted up? If you listen closely you'll hear not the noise of a piston slap but lifters rattling. It's not exactly a cold start knock either as after a while it will do it regularly even after only an hour of engine shut down. If you feel up to the chore please read the whole thread and you will see where we've discussed this ad infinitum. Look at it this way, if it was such a minor "common" issue why then has Holdens replaced our engines? Why was there a recall in the US for this issue in '09 and '10? It's not piston slap mate, sorry.

SV8, good to hear they are addressing the issue, i'm not confident that the replacement of the lifters will work as it didn't for me, but you may get lucky and i really hope you do.

Cheers

OD