Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket SatNav for VF

ellisjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais 5.7
Hey Guys,

I just bought a VF Calais (non-V). Its a very nice car, but the lack of a GPS is a little disappointing.

Has anyone had experience with the aftermarket kits which are selling on ebay?

The one I'm looking at has the iGo Primo GPS... is this any good?

Otherwise, what are your recommendations for a decent aftermarket kit?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So to clarify (because I'd not heard of iGo Primo & just Googled it), this is for installation on a 'phone?
If so, have you tried Google Maps in the appropriate mode?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
iGo is an application, predominantly for Android devices. You would need to add an Android kit (such as Advanced ICE) to run it. Tazzie from here has recently said that's actually a discontinued kit due to it being buggy.

ellisjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais 5.7
Cheers guys.

I'm looking for an in-car GPS which can integrate with the stock head unit.

What's the best way to go? Should I try to find a genuine one?

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
You probably won't fine one which integrates with the stock head unit.
Alpine used to make one specific for VF.

For me the best sat Nav is the Waze app on a phone or dedicated tablet.

Waze is powered by users. It allows the user to feedback changes in traffic condition, accidents , road block , speed cameras and the best one is police locations.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hey Guys,

I just bought a VF Calais (non-V). Its a very nice car, but the lack of a GPS is a little disappointing.

Has anyone had experience with the aftermarket kits which are selling on ebay?

The one I'm looking at has the iGo Primo GPS... is this any good?

Otherwise, what are your recommendations for a decent aftermarket kit?

What the Good of having a Holden Sat Nav where the Maps and POI are over 2 years old. If I bought the Last Commodore that came of the Assembly line two weeks ago and drove it to our streets most of the Streets will not be there. If I drove the Same car that was only built 3 weeks ago and drove through the Red Light Speed Combination camera you will not get a warning that there is a Red Light Speed camera there.
I originally thought that the Maps are stale but I forgot about the important POI that alert you from cash grab cameras.
Look here as I now have a after Market Sat Nav that is reasonable accurate. Well at least 6 months of Streets being done and used.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ried-something-different.267931/#post-2930895

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Yeah but I hate having a screen sitting on the dash or stuck to the windscreen more than I hate 2yo maps!

ellisjuan, the only solutions to your problem I've seen are
(a) some cheap & often glitchy boxes that effectively use the MyLink as a display for your phone; however they don't allow the MyLink touch-screen to send input back to the 'phone, you still need to use the handset to enter any info. This means you can use anything which works on the 'phone (eg. some free stuff which works well), but not using the MyLink touch-screen as input is icky IMHO (plus introduces problems with legalities).
(b) an OEM SatNav but it will be at best 2 years old in terms of maps (and may never be updateable to anything newer).
(c) Alpine still sell this complete replacement for the head-unit with inbuilt Car Play & Android Auto, and it has it's own SatNav too (it'll use maps you can just update whenever you feel like it). But at ~$3k plus installation, it's not cheap (although is the most elegant solution - I would've done it, if I were able to ascertain whether I could still see SatNav info on the HUD in our car - but if you don't have SatNav then you probably don't have HUD anyway?).

Maxmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 HSV R8
I use Tom Tom Go in my car. It is better than the built in GPS that the car has, gets updated every 3 months, has MUCH more up to date speed zones and redlight camera data, has accurate re-routing based on real time user data, is pretty cheap to buy (although you have to pay an annual subscription - $30 I think). I tried a lot of others (including iGo - which I used to love - but which didn't update their maps for ages and I got sick of them having all the wrong speed zones) - but Tom Tom beats them all. Note that WAYZ is good ... but I wanted reliable audible alerts for speed cameras, red light cameras, and when I am over the speed limit ... Tom Tom does all of these well.

I realise that the above does not solve the issue of having a "stuck on" extra screen ... but it is the best solution I could find and when I use a Samsung genuine cradle, my phone is rock solid and works well for Sat Nav ... leaving my inbuilt screen available to view other items.

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
I'm sick of the limited mylink funtions too. Currently designing a tablet holder that will fit into the cd tray for my VF1, should fit nicely between the HVAC and radio. Planning to get a cheap 8" 4G tablet with GPS to run google maps and other apps. Will 3D print it and make a thread on here if successful.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I just sit my garmin in the console under the dsdh . Cost less than $200 and liftime free map updates

Attachments

• 20171109_193512.jpg
    20171109_193512.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 585