Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Overall I’d not be concerned. It’s not overly professional of them to fill it to there, however I often drop in 6 1/2 to 7ltrs on oil changes. Puts the level about where it is in the second photo.

The worst that would happen is the crank will aerate the oil a bit or very worst is a bit of white smoke. Just drop 500ml out and it’s all good. I’ve never had an issue.

Power losses etc can’t be attributed to some extra oil.

As much as it looks like you’ve had an uncool ride with that Dealership, you seem to be anxious around things which will easily be clouding your rational mind from managing the situation. Anxiety sucks. Over thinking and your mind creating situations that don’t exist to substainiate the thoughts and feelings created.

It’s rational and fact based thinking that will see you through it.

No harm will come from things. You can drop a liter yourself and top up to something you feel comfortable with. That won’t affect your warranty.

Or just be calm on Monday and ask them to get the oil level right (as they should have done the first time) for you. No point being emotional or irrational with them because they won’t be as willing to help you regardless wether they over filled it or not. Nothing wrong with being assertive and disappointed in them. That’s fair enough.

I’d just do it myself and be done with it.

Good job checking the oil afterwards. I helped someone replace an oil sensor and they just paid to have an oil change at a Bridgestone Service Centre. Guess what was still in the car? Yep, old oil that was never changed.
It's weird how well you described me haha, I really do suffer with severe anxiety and I am also High Functioning Autistic (Asperger's but we cant call it that anymore apparently.).

I will try and keep a cool calm and collective mind and contact Holden on Monday to get them to finish the job they started, they shouldn't charge me and if they say they will charge me then I will just drain the oil myself. I don't have a set of ramps that my car comfortably drive onto as it is a little lower than factory. Last service I did was on a set of caravan levellers...

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I've seen a lot worse engine gunk wise.

Not sure on the hesitation either but as the engine has been apart a couple of times it could be anything that has been touched in that process. Seeing as Holden did the last work they should diagnose the issue they caused if it wasn't there before they had it apart.
yeah I figured the engine didn't look too bad as well. I will contact them on Monday and hope they agree to take another look at the car for me without extra cost as I am currently unemployed and living off of income protection, I have had a pretty rough year sadly!

I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to help me with this by the way, everybody here is exceptional

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It's weird how well you described me haha, I really do suffer with severe anxiety and I am also High Functioning Autistic (Asperger's but we cant call it that anymore apparently.).

I will try and keep a cool calm and collective mind and contact Holden on Monday to get them to finish the job they started, they shouldn't charge me and if they say they will charge me then I will just drain the oil myself. I don't have a set of ramps that my car comfortably drive onto as it is a little lower than factory. Last service I did was on a set of caravan levellers...
Ahhh. That’s cool. I used to suffer crippling anxiety and got some help for it. Brain training of sorts.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Ahhh. That’s cool. I used to suffer crippling anxiety and got some help for it. Brain training of sorts.
been seeing psychologists and doctors for 5 years now, so far the outcome is I shouldn't work haha but bills gotta be paid, I'm hoping to start working next month

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
been seeing psychologists and doctors for 5 years now, so far the outcome is I shouldn't work haha but bills gotta be paid, I'm hoping to start working next month
I've seen the doctors for over 25 years. Lifestyle change helped me the most. I couldn't work for a few years, then went half time, now full-time. So called experts only help a little. It's up to the individual to do what works for them. Meds help somewhat. But some professionals overprescribe and chop and change and tell you to take five different meds when all you need is two. Quite a few years back I said to the psychiatrist "more ******* medicine" when he wanted me on like four or five different drugs. I never went back. Instead I changed my life and worked out that keeping busy as much as possible was the biggest thing I needed. That meant thinking time was reduced a lot. Doctors don't seem to realise that having no spare time is a better drug than what they pop you full of. I still take two different ones but no panic attacks for over five years so something must be working and it had nothing to do with what the professionals did as I'm still on the same two drugs I was 15 years ago. Just not the extra **** they reckoned I needed.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I've seen the doctors for over 25 years. Lifestyle change helped me the most. I couldn't work for a few years, then went half time, now full-time. So called experts only help a little. It's up to the individual to do what works for them. Meds help somewhat. But some professionals overprescribe and chop and change and tell you to take five different meds when all you need is two. Quite a few years back I said to the psychiatrist "more ******* medicine" when he wanted me on like four or five different drugs. I never went back. Instead I changed my life and worked out that keeping busy as much as possible was the biggest thing I needed. That meant thinking time was reduced a lot. Doctors don't seem to realise that having no spare time is a better drug than what they pop you full of. I still take two different ones but no panic attacks for over five years so something must be working and it had nothing to do with what the professionals did as I'm still on the same two drugs I was 15 years ago. Just not the extra **** they reckoned I needed.
I’m glad you found the solution mate! For me how ever it was the work and keeping busy that drove me to attempt my life at work. Something to do with being over stimulated I can’t handle it…

time will tell for me

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’m glad you found the solution mate! For me how ever it was the work and keeping busy that drove me to attempt my life at work. Something to do with being over stimulated I can’t handle it…

time will tell for me

I had to change jobs to a totally different industry. I only knew baking since I was 14, and the **** I went through was why I had to get out. 8 years ago roughly I went downhill that was when I told the psychiatrist what I thought. Left the job and couldn't work for probably six months, then worked 17hrs a week and now full-time. But yeah sitting at home thinking about my problems was a major part of my spiralling downhill.
These days I always have something on the go. If I don't I start going downhill.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I've been told if I fit a catch can it will fix my oil usage. Apparently it's not just AFM models that use oil. I probably won't bother as it only drops to min on the stick before I drop the oil. I assume this be about a litre of usage, I haven't measured what comes out and what goes back in.

If what you have ‘been told’ is correct, then the oil consumption is via the PCV system. There was definitely an issue with AFM models directing oil near the PCV valve - hence GM providing revised baffles in the rocker covers (as per the link provided earlier).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the LS has a poor crank breather system so most of the consumption is prob thru that, have look thru throttle body and see the oil in the manifold then it's an easy fix with a can, or if the manifold is clean u have other oil usage issues get a scope into the bore check out the burnt tops